Cories

1. Jon Well Known Member Member

im going to petsmart to get some cories tomoorow ... i only have a 10 G tank and i have 4 guppies in it 1 m 3 f... i was thinking of getting 2 cories so as not to overcrowd my tank because im also going to get a dwarf gourami... i hear cories do well in schools of 3... neone have ne suggestions on what i should do? im also going to get a few more plants... the plants arent labled there but ill look for java grass

2. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

You may be a little more experienced with this than I am, so maybe i am wrong ???, but don't you think 3 guppies, 2 cory cats and 1 dwarf gouramis are seriously overcrowding for a 10 gallon? No disrespect, just MO. ;)

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The four guppys and three cories will make a very nice tank but adding the gourami will seriously over load it. Also the gourami will eat any fry you have and possibly eat the adult guppys.
    Carol

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

That's what I thought, but I was thinking that maybe I was wrong, because dwarfs only get 2.5 to 3 inches. But the two I have use up ALOT of space

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They also need lots of room to swim around and room to hide if they feel the need and ten gallon just doesn't supply that for gouramis.
    Carol

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

could one havea 10 gallon with just dwarf gouramis? would that work?

7. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

From most of the websites i have researched, I would think that 3-4 gouramis (with no other similar sized fish that swim in the same regions) to a ten gallon could work out fine? Maybe someone could back me up? You can't always trust the things you read, sometimes it requires experience ;)

Jon, did you get the cory cats?

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

no I don't think a ten gallon is a good idea for 3-4 dwart gouramis. Size wise it would be ok, but aggression wise there's just no place to get away from each other so somebody would wind up getting hurt.
    carol

9. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

true - didnt think of that. thanks for backing me up butterfly - you learn as you go ;)

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I don't think I really backed you up because I said no it would not be a good idea. ;) you have to think of more than fish size when you plan a tank. Think of their normal temperments, their needs ( hiding places, caves, plants etc).
    Carol

11. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

i mean backing me up, as in, verifying how correct/incorrect my advice was ;) not telling me i was right. You always need someone like that because there will always be someone more experienced to give better advice

12. Jon Well Known Member Member

my guppies are only 1 inch long and the cories at my lfs are only 1 inch long and i will get a larger tank soon so a 2-3 inch gourami and 2 1 inch cories and 4 1 inch guppies shouldnt be too bad for a live plant tank should it? thats only 8-9 inches of fish... maybe its a bit cramped but it wont be for long...

changed my mind im saving up for a saltwater tank so for now im kinda neglecting ( not care wise but purchasin wise) my freshwater