Cories vs Loaches, either one or both?

1. bluesky2111 Member Member

I'm planning to upgrade from 30g to 60g (maybe larger), I really like the cory and loach (not Clown loach buy Yoyo/Angelicus...), but I heard that cories and loaches are not really compatible. So which one should I go for? Can I have both?

My current stock (will upgrade later on)
    - 30gal, sand substrate, no live plants
    - 1 Angel
    - 1 Firemouth
    - 1 GBR
    - 2 Mollies
    - 8 Platies
    - 2 Albino Cories
    - 2 Sterbai Cories

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I would upgrade those cories you have already to 6-8 each, or you'll wanna rehome them. Or perhaps rehome one of that group and get 8 of the other. It's good to have cories in groups of 6+ and it's good to have them all of one species.

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

In a 60G I'd have 2 enormous Cory-herds.
    To be honest I don't know te compability of loaches (only Kuhlis) but I've read there can be issues between Corys / loaches.
    Coradee will have better / more info I think.

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Loaches are pretty variable when it comes to temperament. They are not like cories where pretty much all cories are really peaceful. Loaches can range from super timid and peaceful (kuhli loaches) to nippy and semi aggressive (angelicus/yoyo loaches) to complete and total jerks (sumo loach).

That being said, as much as i love me some loaches, since you already have the two types of cory I'd go with upping both of those and having a sterbai/aeneus cory bottom like DoubleDutch suggested. IF you were going to try and rehome one group of cories and wanted to mix loaches with them, I'd go for zebra loaches as they are nearly as peaceful as kuhli's but are a little more outgoing and won't be outcompeted for food like cories might do to kuhli's.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys & loaches imo aren't a good mix, not because of aggression issues though they can nip, but they can be very boisterous & stress the corys out, they can also out compete them for food.
    I'd have to agree with DoubleDutch that a large single species group or two smaller groups of cory would be my choice.

7. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I like the advice above.

However, as I keep and have always kept both corydoras catfish and various botine loach (in seperate aquaria) I would have to say that the loaches have always been the most characterful and most satisfying fish to own.

8. bluesky2111 Member Member

Thanks for all the help. I will keep that in mind. Loaches are amazing fish but since they're not compatible with the cories, I might have to stick with the cories.