Cories Unhappy/am I Doing Something Wrong?

CJRIO125

Reactions
Experience
1 year
HI all,

Appreciate this is a well talked about topic but I just wanted to make sure I am not missing something obvious.

I have 6 false juliI Corys in a Juwel 180 with 10 red phantom tetras, 8 lemon tetras and 1 Otto.

I literally never see the cories. They all hide under a piece of bog wood constantly. At feeding time one or two may eventually start to come out but the slightest of movements and they dart back in.

I get they are shy fish etc hence why I bought 6 to give them a group, and there are plants etc for them to hide under but I didn’t expect to never see them?

It is quite frustrating but more importantly I’m worried something is wrong? All other fish are fine and dandy. Water parameters are 0,0 and 30 nitrate

DoraCory

Reactions
Experience
1 year
How long have you had the cories? It is possible they are still adjusting to the tank.

Another guess is that they might be scared of the other fish, have you noticed any trouble from the others towards the cories?

I have albino cories in my Juwel 180 and they are busy little things, I see them all of the time.

Another thing, your nitrate seems a little high, I'm not sure if that is the cause of the cory problems, but it might not be helping.

OP
CJRIO125

CJRIO125

Reactions
Experience
1 year
phishRfriends said:
How long have you had the cories? It is possible they are still adjusting to the tank.

Another guess is that they might be scared of the other fish, have you noticed any trouble from the others towards the cories?

I have albino cories in my Juwel 180 and they are busy little things, I see them all of the time.

Another thing, your nitrate seems a little high, I'm not sure if that is the cause of the cory problems, but it might not be helping.
Had then a just over a couple of months now. Can’t say I have seen any aggression towards them, but equally that is because I never see them at all. They are always under the wood and none of the other fish go there.

Tank is due a water change to be fair.

DoraCory

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Not sure what to suggest, I'm still fairly new to tropical freshwater and being a cory parent tbh.

Have you added anything (like new plants or ornaments) or changed anything around recently?

Do they still hide when the lights are off?

Is the tank temp within their preferred range?

What are you feeding them?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Do they come out if you just sit still in front of the tank? When I first walk up to my tank all my corys head for their favorite hiding places but once I am there and still they all come back out and ignore me.

Some of my corys have gotten so used to me messin' with their tank they come out and follow my fingers as I stir through the sand. I think they are hoping I will turn up a tidbit of food for them. I do try to move very slowly though. Sudden movements will scare them.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Since you've had the Cory Cats a couple of months, its apparent that they are eating. You noted that the Tetras are doing great, which indicates a good water quality.
I'd say the Cories are still adjusting. Maybe dI'm the lights & change up the food. Every fish I own rips up small grain, Omega One sinking Cichlid pellets.
All your fish are low waste producers, you might consider adding another small school of a little bigger Cory Cat such as Bronze Cories.They would add to the bottom feeding competion, and also compete for the best hiding spots. The result would likely be much more bottom activity.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
A201 said:
Since you've had the Cory Cats a couple of months, its apparent that they are eating. You noted that the Tetras are doing great, which indicates a good water quality.
I'd say the Cories are still adjusting. Maybe dI'm the lights & change up the food. Every fish I own rips up small grain, Omega One sinking Cichlid pellets.
All your fish are low waste producers, you might consider adding another small school of a little bigger Cory Cat such as Bronze Cories.They would add to the bottom feeding competion, and also compete for the best hiding spots. The result would likely be much more bottom activity.
Competing ? I agree the others will feel probably feel more safe, but competing isn't exactly what they will do.

OP
CJRIO125

CJRIO125

Reactions
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
Do they come out if you just sit still in front of the tank? When I first walk up to my tank all my corys head for their favorite hiding places but once I am there and still they all come back out and ignore me.

Some of my corys have gotten so used to me messin' with their tank they come out and follow my fingers as I stir through the sand. I think they are hoping I will turn up a tidbit of food for them. I do try to move very slowly though. Sudden movements will scare them.
If I sit exceptionally still across the room on an evening the brave 2 May come out but even the slightest movement and they are gone. How they even see me move is impressive ha

kallililly1973 said:
What are you feeding them and what type of substrate are you using.
Limpopo black sand and I feed a mixture of flakes, pellets, the odd wafer and the odd frozen daphnia. Their barbells seem in good health so that should be a good sign right...

A201 said:
Do you think I have enough room¿ I am always worried about overstocking. I did nearly add a couple of whiptails for something a bit more different but maybe it’s best I do consider more cories

Coradee

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Corys can be some of the most frustrating fish to keep as everyone has a different experience with various species being shy or not.
I’ve just parted with my group of C.duplicareus as I never saw them, they just sat at the back of the tank if they saw any movement nearby, frustratingly in my friends tank they’re as happy as larry not fussed about anything & are out about all the time yet his tank has very little in the way of hiding places

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
CJRIO125 said:
If I sit exceptionally still across the room on an evening the brave 2 May come out but even the slightest movement and they are gone. How they even see me move is impressive ha

Limpopo black sand and I feed a mixture of flakes, pellets, the odd wafer and the odd frozen daphnia. Their barbells seem in good health so that should be a good sign right...

Do you think I have enough room¿ I am always worried about overstocking. I did nearly add a couple of whiptails for something a bit more different but maybe it’s best I do consider more cories
That reminds me of the doves that come to my feeder. they see the slightest movement in the house and they are gone in a heartbeat. I have to sneak up to the window to see them. Like your corys how they see me is impressive. They must be doves with eagle eyes

It sounds like your are feeding them a very varied diet and your substrate must be to their liking since their barbels are healthy.

If you were to add more fish it would probably be best to add more to the cory shoal. Maybe they would be more comfortable with a bigger group. Hopefully you won't just end up with more you never get to see and enjoy.

Coradee said:
Corys can be some of the most frustrating fish to keep as everyone has a different experience with various species being shy or not.
I’ve just parted with my group of C.duplicareus as I never saw them, they just sat at the back of the tank if they saw any movement nearby, frustratingly in my friends tank they’re as happy as larry not fussed about anything & are out about all the time yet his tank has very little in the way of hiding places
I am sure that has you scratching your head Who can know the minds of corys though. Silly adorable little creatures.

New Threads