Cories randomly dying

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am down to 6 wild caught pygmy cories now, I've had them in a cycled tank for weeks now and for some reason I've lost 3 out of the 9 I started with?

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 16
How long has the tank been running? Since March 17th
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 6 pygmy cories, 20 RCS, 3 MTS

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 25-30%
What do you use to treat your water? Stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? python is on order so right now just the water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API master kit

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day sometimes every other day if there's left over food
How much do you feed your fish? 2 wafers for all the fish and inverts- I clean out whats left the next day
What brand of food do you feed your fish? I've tried some other sinking pellets but the cories aren't really interested in much
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Planned on it when I get more fish

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Since April 15th
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? nothing different, they hide mostly but I found him near the front of the tank

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I don't know I'm sort of stumped as to why they are randomly dying off. My only thinking is maybe they aren't eating like they are supposed too?

IMG_1350.jpg
IMG_1351.jpg

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I dont think they are dying from lack of food. It’s pretty hard to starve a fish if you’re feeding them. I know wild caught fish can have a lot more issues in captivity, but I have never kept wild caught fish so I can’t say for sure.

OP
kattiq

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
erinw347 said:
I dont think they are dying from lack of food. It’s pretty hard to starve a fish if you’re feeding them. I know wild caught fish can have a lot more issues in captivity, but I have never kept wild caught fish so I can’t say for sure.
Hmm yeah, I've never kept wild caught either till now. But I couldn't think of anything else except food.

OP
kattiq

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mattgirl said:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I think wild caught fish are not acclimated to tank life and are harder to keep. I think we can do everything just right and still they just don't make it. :(
As sad as that sounds, I do feel somewhat reassured that maybe it wasn't something I did wrong :\
I just love these little guys!

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think wild caught fish are a bit more finicky, although I do think sometimes they are just as maybe hardier than some tank bred fish.
I have also heard of people who just have bad luck with pygmys; they can't keep them alive. It could be something wrong with the water, or it just.. Isn't you. I know I shouldn't blame fish for their deaths, but sometimes it really isn't your fault.

OP
kattiq

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
flyinGourami said:
I think wild caught fish are a bit more finicky, although I do think sometimes they are just as maybe hardier than some tank bred fish.
I have also heard of people who just have bad luck with pygmys; they can't keep them alive. It could be something wrong with the water, or it just.. Isn't you. I know I shouldn't blame fish for their deaths, but sometimes it really isn't your fault.
Hmm yeah, I have kept emerald cories before and didn't have any issues. Granted that was in another tank entirely. I researched their needs before I even got them so maybe its just one of those things. I could bulk back up their numbers with some that aren't wild caught, but would that confuse them somehow? lol

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
kattiq said:
Hmm yeah, I have kept emerald cories before and didn't have any issues. Granted that was in another tank entirely. I researched their needs before I even got them so maybe its just one of those things. I could bulk back up their numbers with some that aren't wild caught, but would that confuse them somehow? lol
If they are the same species I can't imagine it would be a problem mixing tank bred and wild caught.

OP
kattiq

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mattgirl said:
If they are the same species I can't imagine it would be a problem mixing tank bred and wild caught.
Okay thank you! I might go ahead and check that out. There’s a new LFS that used to only do salt water that’s now selling fresh. Maybe I can get him to get me some Pygmy corys in since he sells the others already!

New Threads