Cories, Otto's, or something else

Chuelsman

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi all looking for advice/recommendations. I'm going to adding some new friends in my 10gal for my betta fish (only fish on the tank atm). I'd like to get either some cories or Otto's to help clean the lower level of the tank. I'm considering 3-5 of either species.

I'm considering cories because my betta fish doesn't always get all the food I feed him, and it falls to the bottom of the tank and I have to get it out with tweezers. God forbid that my betta touch anything that touches the substrate ( he turns his nose up at food that hits the bottom...). I'm unsure of cories because they need a wide variety in their diet, not just algae. I'd like to keep it simple if I can.

I'm considering Otto's because I've never been able to fully get rid of algae in my tank. I manage it pretty well, but it always comes back :(. The downside to ottos are that they are very sensitive to water changes, and in a 10g things can change quickly! Also they tend to hide and aren't as active. Which I would love more activity in the tank. Cories are always looking around for food.

Does anyone else recommend other fish for a clean up crew in a 10gal?

Best Answer - View MacZ's answer

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think cories would suit but geta small species tgat is temp compatible. For the algae get a nerite

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
  1. As SnookusFish said, get a nerite for the algae, or try adding live plants.
  2. You're right about otos being sensitive fish, and they won't eat the leftover food anyway. The best solution to that problem is to only feed what the betta will eat, and remove any uneaten food. A turkey baster should work well.
  3. You mentioned corys need more than algae. As far as I know they don't eat algae at all. If you do get them anyway please get one of the dwarf varieties. Any of the standard ones are too large for a 10 gallon tank.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you get corys make sure to get Pygmy corys, a lot of types get too big for a 10g. I agree with SnookusFish about the Nerite :).

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chuelsman said:
Hi all looking for advice/recommendations. I'm going to adding some new friends in my 10gal for my betta fish (only fish on the tank atm). I'd like to get either some cories or Otto's to help clean the lower level of the tank. I'm considering 3-5 of either species.

I'm considering cories because my betta fish doesn't always get all the food I feed him, and it falls to the bottom of the tank and I have to get it out with tweezers. God forbid that my betta touch anything that touches the substrate ( he turns his nose up at food that hits the bottom...). I'm unsure of cories because they need a wide variety in their diet, not just algae. I'd like to keep it simple if I can.

I'm considering Otto's because I've never been able to fully get rid of algae in my tank. I manage it pretty well, but it always comes back :(. The downside to ottos are that they are very sensitive to water changes, and in a 10g things can change quickly! Also they tend to hide and aren't as active. Which I would love more activity in the tank. Cories are always looking around for food.

Does anyone else recommend other fish for a clean up crew in a 10gal?
First of all: No fish is just a clean up crew. Never expect them to help you do your job.

In a 10 gallon you are not able to keep a sufficiently big group of Cories or Otos. C. pygmaeus and C. habrosus need lower temperature than a betta, I would rule them out accordingly.

Otos are not sensitive to water changes, they are sensitive to changes of environment. They are really hard to acclimate and most often wild caught, not used to food supplements (veggies, tabs) and if you get 50% of a batch over the first three months you can consider yourself lucky. They are EITHER hiding and inactive (mostly in brightly lid tanks and high nitrate readings) OR really actively schooling about the tank. Biggest problems here: A really established tank with lots of aufwuchs in that size can only feed 2 Otos which is too small a group and supplementory feeding can ruin your water quality quickly and may not even work as it can take weeks until they find out that cucumber is edible. Oh and as wild caughts they might introduce parasites to your tank.

All that said: Just get 1-2 nerite snails. Far more effective, less sensitive and less expensive.

OP
Chuelsman

Chuelsman

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Good points about the temperature. Didn't think about that. I was hoping I'd have enough space, but you all bring up valid points.

New Threads