Cories Or Loaches?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by chickenghost, Apr 23, 2017.

1. chickenghostValued MemberMember

hello everyone!
    I am not choosing between cories and loaches. I just want to know what everyone thinks.
    Which do you like better? cories or loaches? I personally like loaches better, even though they are not as peaceful. my favorite is the kuhli loach. cories are so cute, though

2. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

What size tank and stock?

3. Kolegrundy92Valued MemberMember

Depends what temperature your tank is to be honest!

4. Mike AValued MemberMember

Ive had both and I really like them both (cories and yoyos). I like how the cories are super cute and school around the substrate. The yoyos dont really school that much for me but i like their personality and how they eat snails. I also find it fun to watch the yoyos try to eat flake food at the surface while swimming upside down and splashing everywhere.

5. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Weather loaches! Also called dojo but I link dojo with the gold variety and weather with the "natural" colour. My trio is ticked at me now... barebottom tank till I can get new sand.

6. chickenghostValued MemberMember

Ouch. they must hate that.

7. KotyNew MemberMember

Cories are amazing fish that never stop moving! Loaches often get larger and liked to be schooled so aquarium size is always a factor

8. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Loaches are generally harder to keep because of tank size limitations, If I had the tank I would throw my corys to the trash can and get loaches in my tanks, Clown loaches, Yoyo Loaches, dwarf loaches, they are all AMAZING.
    (joke, I love my corydoras, I would never throw them to the trash can lol)

9. KotyNew MemberMember

I've always wanted clown loaches but you need a pretty large tank to house them appropiately :(

10. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I think they get to the 10" range? Correct me if I'm wrong. And they need schools. So yeah, big tank. :)

11. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

They are sooooo pretty, probably my favorite fish appart from some Mexican cichlids and south american ones. I wanted them to go with my tiger barbs (best combination ever) in a 36 gal as I was planning on upgrading later in the future but decided against it because of Morphy´s law :(

I think they get to the 1 foot range with proper care, and yeah, they need schools, not so big tho, I think 3 is fine but more is better. The only good thing (or bad, depends on your tank situation) about them is that they are slow growers, so if you start with a big enough tank you may have a couple of years before having to upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  12. KotyNew MemberMember

Sorry to ask this on your thread but how do I start my own thread?

13. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Once you are in a subforum, for example, freshwater beginners, there is a "post new thread" button at the left of your profile pic. Hope this helps.

14. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Both are great. Ive got both kuhlis and false julli in my tank.

@Koty there should be a start or post ne thread button in the subforums

15. chickenghostValued MemberMember

so the vibe I´m getting here is that cories are cute and funny, and lots of people have them, but if they could they would have loaches instead. also random question can cories do well with a gravel substrate?

16. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

As long as the gravel is small and rounded, not sharp they should be fine.

What is the tank size and the rest of the stock?

I like dojo loaches best. So tame and friendly.

17. grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

4717c8c29943ef1794401acd9dd07f60.jpg corys ! Gold lazer ones i seen them i my lfs the other day, i have bronze panda and albino

18. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Oops, read the question the wrong way.

19. chickenghostValued MemberMember

My personal favorite cory is the three lined cory. the patterning is really cool. Sterbas are also really cool