Help Cories On Vacation (8 Days)

Corydoratheexplorer

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Background: I have 9 cories in a 20 gal planted tank, with heat, lighting on a timer, and two canister filters. The tank itself is cycled, it's been running for a few months now, and I do frequent partial water changes (20-25%) every four or five days because I'm a stickler for keeping the water fresh.

Question: This tank is in my college dorm room, and I'm heading home for spring break this weekend. It would be 8 full days that I'm away from campus. The way I see it, I have three options, and I need advice.

1. Transport the entire tank over a 2 hour drive, set it up at home.
2. Buy a vacation feeder block, do a generous water change, leave the cories behind
3. Do a generous water change, leave the cories behind with no additional food

Which would cause the least amount of stress on the fish? Or is there an even better option I haven't thought of? Nobody will be on campus to feed the fish for me.

abarb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just feed some more than normal (not too much) before you leave then do a big water change and feed them no food. They should be fine.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do sell automatic fish feeders. They drop food into the tank daily.
Walmart has one for under $15

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
8 days is absolutely fine without food. Overfeed a little 2 or 3 days before you go, 50% water change the day before you leave.

Feeder blocks might potentially cause more issues then fix them.

New Threads