Cories are breeding! When should I add my betta?

LadyRiparian

New Member
Member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
Hello Fishlore!

I have a cycled 10 gallon tank currently stocked with Corydoras habrosus we got in early May. I had started with eight, but three pretty immediately didn't make it. The five remaining seem to be doing well. I want to fill out their school a bit more, but the LFSs have been out of stock ever since.

The ultimate goal of the tank is to have a thriving school of tiny cories and a single centerpiece betta. We've already got the betta in quarantine (since June 1st) and he is the most non-aggressive betta I've ever seen. He has yet to flare at anything in my presence. I even showed him a mirror to try to get him to flare so I could check on his gills (his beard is black and that was worrying me) but he would just look apprehensive and swim away quickly. He is otherwise very curious and will actively watch me throughout the day. This seems like a good sign for the future tank dynamic (and if it doesn't work out, he'll go back to his private tank).

I had been considering moving him into the main tank soon, since he's been looking super healthy, but I noticed my cories have just laid eggs last night. Should I wait until the eggs hatch, or wait even longer, before adding the betta now? Would the betta harm the eggs or the fry? He hasn't been added yet, so everyone is currently safe.

Thank you in advance for your advice!
 

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,421
Reaction score
74
Location
Probably in Wonderland somewhere...
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Awesome to have you here!

That tank is a little small for cories, especially to have in there with a betta. I personally wouldn't add the betta back in there while the cory fry are still little, just to avoid the risk of him viewing them as snacks lol!
Coradee might be able to help you with raising the fry if you aren't already familiar with how to.

Oh, and congrats on getting a peaceful betta!
 

Coradee

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
18,049
Reaction score
5,488
Location
England
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the eggs
If they're viable they should hatch in 3-5 days depending on temperature, once the fry have absorbed the egg sac after about 3 days you can start feeding them very finely crushed catfish pellets or something like HikarI first bites, after that bbs are good food for them.
I wouldn't put the Betta in the tank while the fry are small enough to be eaten, I find them to be quite slow growers so it could be several months before they're safe to be in with him.
 

Jim

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,128
Reaction score
27
Location
Virginia
Experience
More than 10 years
I find that my cories eat most of their own eggs but not the young'uns.
 

alink

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,610
Reaction score
27
Location
Dudleyville
Experience
1 year
BornThisWayBettas said:
Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Awesome to have you here!

That tank is a little small for cories, especially to have in there with a betta. I personally wouldn't add the betta back in there while the cory fry are still little, just to avoid the risk of him viewing them as snacks lol!
A quick search tells me that these are Salt and Pepper cory's which only get a little over an inch long, so they will be okay in that size tank, IMO. But I do agree that putting a betta with a breeding colony of cory's, wouldnt be the best long term solution, no matter how docile the betta may appear.
 

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,047
Reaction score
4,271
Location
Lwhekk, Ssi-ruuvi Imperium
Experience
5 to 10 years
This tank size imo is not okay for habrosus cories. These get over an inch long, 1.3 inches. I would not put any schooling fish over 1.1 inch in a 10g, personally.
 

alink

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,610
Reaction score
27
Location
Dudleyville
Experience
1 year
Anders247 said:
This tank size imo is not okay for habrosus cories. These get over an inch long, 1.3 inches. I would not put any schooling fish over 1.1 inch in a 10g, personally.
Is that .2" really that big of a factor? I could see if they were closer to 2" but they might not even get to the full 1.3"...
 

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,047
Reaction score
4,271
Location
Lwhekk, Ssi-ruuvi Imperium
Experience
5 to 10 years
alink said:
Is that .2" really that big of a factor? I could see if they were closer to 2" but they might not even get to the full 1.3"...
Yes, it is. I have found dwarf cories to be much less active in a 10.
Besides, if we went that way we would be sliding on a slippery slope- oh, is 1.4 inches so much worse than 1.2? Is 1.6 so much worse than 1.8? Is 1.8 so much worse than 2 inches? And so on. It makes a difference.
 

alink

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,610
Reaction score
27
Location
Dudleyville
Experience
1 year
Anders247 said:
Yes, it is. I have found dwarf cories to be much less active in a 10.
Besides, if we went that way we would be sliding on a slippery slope- oh, is 1.4 inches so much worse than 1.2? Is 1.6 so much worse than 1.8? Is 1.8 so much worse than 2 inches? And so on. It makes a difference.
While I get what you're saying, and understand why you have that position; in this case their max size on SF is listed at 1.1" - 1.3" and as you likely know, most fish that are raised in tanks never get their full size. I will agree that its not an ideal forever home for them, especially if the OP wants to have large actively breeding colony of them.
 

LiterallyHydro

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,401
Reaction score
18
Location
Florida
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't take the chance with the fish not getting their full size in the tank. I've seen some fish that even exceed their supposed maximum size. It's best to adapt your tank to the desired fish, not the other way around.
 

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,047
Reaction score
4,271
Location
Lwhekk, Ssi-ruuvi Imperium
Experience
5 to 10 years
alink said:
While I get what you're saying, and understand why you have that position; in this case their max size on SF is listed at 1.1" - 1.3" and as you likely know, most fish that are raised in tanks never get their full size. I will agree that its not an ideal forever home for them, especially if the OP wants to have large actively breeding colony of them.
Have you ever had dwarf cories in a 10?
Seriously fish even states that that species is unsuitable for nano aquaria. They recommend at least 24 by 12, a 20 high/15 long. Which I agree with, after having dwarf cories in a 10, they're simply too active for these tanks.
And they go by standard length, not total length on there.
 

LiterallyHydro

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,401
Reaction score
18
Location
Florida
Experience
4 years
Hypothetically speaking, their size would be fine for a 10G (Just my opinion though) but in practice it just doesn't work.. They are way too active swimmers. They never stop moving, I swear!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
127
Guests online
2,106
Total visitors
2,233

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom