Cories and Cichlids

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Jake the Fish, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

I am getting 3 cories for my new tank in about a week. What ones like a high pH?

2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Hi Jake,

I'm not sure which Cory likes high PH but I'd advise getting a school of Cories, about 6-7 of them as they would be happier in a group of that number. Best of luck! :;hf

3. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

I asked Ken (aquarist48) and he said to get about 3.

4. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

7.4 isn't that high. Most should be able to adapt just fine.

5. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

No not my 10 gallon, my 43g Electric Yellow Cichlid tank. The pH is 7.9 in there.

6. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

3 are nice...but in a big tank wont look like much and they would be less stressed if they were in a number like 6.

7. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Cories should not be kept with yellow labs or any other African Rift Lake cichlid. They are too peaceful and will be stressed to death if not killed outright.

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Jake I'm glad you've asked for second opinions as I mentioned.

Harpua, should the African Rift Lake Cichlids be a species only tank? He was asking me about a Peppermint Pleco too.

Ken

9. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I don't think it would be a good idea to have Cories with rift lake cichlids. As Harpua mentioned the cichlids will be way too aggressive for the Cories to deal with. A Peppermint Bristlenose will be fine.

10. Aquarist

Thanks Nutter!
    Ken

11. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNAValued MemberMember

You need a larger cory if you want to try putting them with labs. I still think the results will be disaster unless you use them as dither fish for spawning. The chiclid breeders I know use larger cories like C42 kristanae to help get chilids to spawn by making them defend a territory. When spawning occurs they remove the poor beat up cories.

12. Aquarist

Hello RedKahuna,

Oh....poor Cory's. Seems I read somewhere that these type of cichlids will breed at the drop of a hat as long as enough caves and hiding places are available. I don't know for certain that the use of Cory's in this manor is necessary. Personally I wouldn't put the Cory's through it.

Ken

13. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

+1 Most Mbuna are pretty easy to breed, especially yellow labs.

14. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

I am not getting the peppermint pleco as it is way too expensive here. I was thinking of just a normal pleco but it might outgrow the tank. My other options were bristlenoses but they were to small.

I got 3 Electric Yellows yesterday by the way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice