Coridoras: how strong a preference for same kind? Question

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by JoannaB, Jan 5, 2013.

1. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

If all goes well I intend to get cories from my local store today. I stopped by briefly around noon to take a look at availability, but since many of the cories were not very active this time of day (which makes sense since they are nocturnal), I plan to try to purchase them perhaps this evening. I intend to probably get all six at once and then make sure to measure ammonia and nitrites daily in my qt and if needed do water changes, perhaps not feeding for a couple of days to minimize waste so that my qt tank can grow bacteria needed to adjust from two platies to six cories.

My preference would be to get all six cories of same species since I know they prefer that - possible some bronze and some albino Cory aeneus. However, I was unable to figure out whether the cories my local store has will be able to fit this preference. You see, my local store has spread all their cories among all the tanks. In the mistaken belief that cories will handle algea control. So there are cories all over the place without labels as to species. It could be that the more knowledgeable of the employees there will be able to tell me which is which, but there is a good chance that getting six cories of one species will be challenging.

So, in your experience, how strong a preference do cories have for their own species? If I wind up getting home with a mixed bag of "assorted" cories, how much will this inhibit their well-being?

2. amber0107Well Known MemberMember

I have incomplete schools of them by accident and mine are doing great but they tend to stay with their own kind most of the time. I'm working to complete the schools when I find them available.

3. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Ah, but with only a 29 gallon tank I cannot get more than six cories total, so if I wound up buying six that are not the same species Completing the schools would not be an option for me.

Another thing I was wondering, how important is it that all of them are roughly the same size, or is that not important? I saw one Cory there today which was significantly smaller than the others. Cute little guy. :) If I got him and five cories that are currently significantly bigger than him, would that be any issue?

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I have 3 incomplete schools and they don't have anything to do with one another. Nor did they when they were in larger schools.

I don't think size matters to them.

5. fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

How much smaller are you talking according to the corydora competitions (like crufts for fish) there are two categories depending on size as there are so many different cory variations, many of them look every similar (to my eyes). Have you entertained the idea of pygmy cories? I have never kept them so I couldn't tell you how they would interact with each other.

6. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

So, I will try hard to get six of same kind, and if not possible, I might get three and ask them to get another three of same kind, assuming we can tell what species they are that is.

My other option would be to mail order my cories since I currently do not trust any other of my local stores - this one in the Petland in Fairfax, and I've mostly had good experience with them in the past, and they are conveniently walking distance from me, probably meaning similar water supply too, so I have a preference for buying my fish there.

7. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I think the smaller one was same variety as some of the others just younger, but I could be wrong since I am certainly not knowledgeable in differentiating Cory species. I would prefer not getting Pygmy cories. I would like them to grow bigger with time, and for the small size tank inhabitants, I shall already have MTS and intend to get RCS. So I would like my Cories to be of more substantial size once they grow up. I am thinking either Cory aeneus or Sterbai, although today I did not see any Sterbai, so unless they were hiding, if I do buy cories today, they will be aeneus or ones that look similar enough to anaeus to an untrained eye if neither the employees nor I can correctly tell the species apart.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  8. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Ok, today I bought four cories. The employee who helped me, who by the way is a fellow fishlore member (I was glad it was her :) believed them all to be Cory Anaeus, and I think so too. One of them is an albino, the other three are regular bronze ones. On Wednesday I will go back since they should get a new shipment of more albino cories, and I shall acquire the final two of the school and add them to these four quarantining them together - yes, I know potential risk there, but I am thinking of taking this risk, unless someone here dissuades me.

Right now the current four cories are acclimating. PS: They appear to be terrified, poor cories.

9. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello Joanna :) corys hate being acclimatised I've always found this they just want to be let loose not realising that its for their benefit.

Quarantine is quarantine I think adding more should be ok just look for the obvious signs of illness before you buy

10. DualFishTankNew MemberMember

I have 1 green, 1 marbled, 1 spotted and 2 albino cory cats in my 55 gal. They all get along great.

11. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

My advice is to get the same type of Cories. Their personalities really do shine.

I have 18 Albinos, 4 Peppered (getting more next month) and they are a crack up. They look pretty spectacular when all the Albinos huddle in a big group and search for food on the bottom with their barbels in the substrate moving from one side to the other in a group. My 4 peppered cories stick together as well.

12. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

They'll be ok by tomorrow, give them time to adjust.