Corals in a stock 14g BioCube?

excitedforfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Everyone!

So I will be getting my brand dew biocube in the mail soon and I am very excited!! This will be my first salt water venture and I am kind of scared to be honest!

I plan on having a lot of cleaner crew, LR, LS, and 2 clownfish and 1 yellow tailed damsel.

Now I was wondering can you guys suggest some easy to keep preferably cheap corals I can look into? I just want to buy frags that I can attach onto my LR. I am really excited.

Also, what food do corals eat?

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

This is a GREAT forum!!!

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Be careful what fish you stock in your cube :X

I personally love the biocubes because it looks like a little slice of the ocean

However, a lot of fish just aren't suited to such small tanks (that really get even smaller when you add in rock and corals)....Someone likened living in such a small space to living in your bathroom...you can do it, but gawd it's annoying lol.

Good corals for a beginner would be any and they come in such a great variety of colors. Also would be (some people even consider them a nuisance since they grow so well) or (button polyps) which also come in such pretty colors! If you like a longer look then Polythoas are also really good. All of these corals are mostly synthetic but will benefit (so i'm told) from a little phytoplankton every now and then.

A middle ground would be. They are mostly non-photosynthetic but still need some light and need to be fed mysis or some other meaty kind of food. They are gorgeous green and purple and like the bottom of the tank.

I would stay away from anything with a hard skeleton or an encrusting coral like plate corals which need a higher light than will probably come with your cube. Also, before you stock your Biocube make sure you have good lights (compacts, t5s, MH, w/e) or else your corals won't do very well since that's their main source of nutrition :X

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good advice above.

Just wanted to add, plate corals (fungia spp) are not encrusting corals. I think Naeusu is telling you to stay away from encrusting corals like montipora (there are also plating montiporas) because they need higher light. Plate corals (fungia) would be fine, also you can look into some of the easy LPS (long polyp stony) corals like frogspawn, hammer, torch, acanthastrea. You'll have enough lighting for those as long as you place them high in the tank. I started out my frogspawn in an 8 gallon Biocube from a little frag, and now it is in a 50 gallon several years later with about 12-15 heads. ;D

Basically, you have some limitations to work with in a Biocube without upgrading the lighting (which I wouldn't recommend anyway for someone that is new to Saltwater), but there are still a lot of great choices for you with the stock lighting.

IMO the clowns you want should be fine in the Biocube, but only if you stick to a smaller species like ocellaris or percula. You should skip the damsel; those 3 fish in a 14 gallon would be crowded IMO.

excitedforfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OOOOh, I can keep frogspawn? Do you have to feed it anything? I am excited now!

What about ricordea? Those look pretty!

Do you have a list of corals maybe I could keep? I plan on going to the LFS soon and doing a little shopping

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whoa, slow down!

Just kidding. But in all seriousness, please take your time before buying corals. Have you read up on cycling your tank?

And yes, you can keep ricordeas. They are easy to keep. Frogspawn is easy too. Keep it out of direct flow, and be sure to give it space; euphyllias are aggressive corals that will sting other corals within reach.

excitedforfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
haha don't worry, I won't even think about adding anything till my tank is cycled!

And thanks for such helpful information!!!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take a look at acanthastrea... I'm pretty sure you'll like that one! ;D

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh you're right!

Unfortunately whenever i think of plate corals i think of the encrusting montis ^^;; i think it's because the ones that don't encrust grow out like plates...

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
biocubes sound so cool i too am afraid to do saltwater lemme know how it goes

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, the plating monti's are montipora capricornis. I 100% agree with Naeusu that stock Biocube lighting is inadequate for these (and probably any other sps) corals.

Also, @ excitedforfish, I forgot to mention that the stock pump in the Biocube is just ok really. It will get the job done but you'll probably end up with some dead spots (I did once my rock was in the tank, it's just kind of the way it goes, lol). You may want to consider adding a small powerhead on the opposite side of the tank from your return. A Koralia nano or Koralia 1 would be good, Maxi Jets are also very reliable if Koralias are a little out of the budget.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads