Coralline algae

PeteStevers
This isn't really a question but more of an observation. But, if you know what's going on, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

I've been trying to figure out why the coralline algae in my aquarium has gone from orange/pink to basically white. I found it interesting that immediately following a water change of (20%), some coralline colors up drastically. See the pictures below. The coralline that is pink\orange colored was the same color as the rest prior to the water change. There must be something in the newly mixed saltwater that is doing this but, I'm not sure what it is or why it fades back to whitish over the next couple or days. I'd like to know so maybe I could possibly dose some element that is missing or too low. I keep reading that magnesium is what coralline algae likes but, my levels are high so I don't know...

Here are my parameters if it helps:
40 breeder with 20L sump
Icecap KI 100 protein skimmer
2 AI Prime HD16's (60% at peak)
Temp - 78 F
pH - 7.9
Nitrate - <1ppm (occasionally I'll dose NeoNitro)
Phos - 0.00 - 0.1 (typically 0.00) occasionally I'll dose it up to 0.03 with NeoPhos
- tend to start seeing green algae in my sump and some red thread algae in my tank when I dose nitrate\phosphate that's why I don't usually do it. Most corals (soft\hard\leathers) all look to be growing well and have decent color)
Alk - 7.9 (dosing full strength kalkwasser @ 2tsp/gallon)
Calc - 431
Mg - 1445 (dose Mg)
Salt mix - IO Reef Crystals

20210610_143703.jpg

20210610_143710.jpg

ChrissFishes01
My first thoughts are that you're nutrient-limited. ULN systems are kind of "out" right now, just due to people having issues with color, growth, and sometimes unwanted algae growth. I know you said you've had some other issues with nuisance algae, but it's something to consider.

I guess it could also possibly be an iron deficiency (my macros used to start turning white whenever iron was low) but I'm not sure that coralline reacts the same way.

PeteStevers
ChrissFishes01 said:
My first thoughts are that you're nutrient-limited. ULN systems are kind of "out" right now, just due to people having issues with color, growth, and sometimes unwanted algae growth. I know you said you've had some other issues with nuisance algae, but it's something to consider.

I guess it could also possibly be an iron deficiency (my macros used to start turning white whenever iron was low) but I'm not sure that coralline reacts the same way.
Yeah, I've read all kinds of stuff some pro ULN and some against it. Nuisance algae really bugs me so that's why I don't do it often. Maybe I'll have to reconsider. I'll look into the iron suggestion as well. Appreciate the feedback!!

PeteStevers
So I took a second and looked again and what I noticed was there is a pretty distinct horizontal line where the coralline has pinked up. I did a water change as I said and it appears that the coralline that was exposed during the water change is what is looking better. This leads me to believe that lighting is the key in my case. The coralline was exposed to brighter lighting during the water change so, I'm going to start slowly increase lighting a bit to see if that makes any difference. Not worth affecting everything else in my tank so, I'm just going real slow. Maybe this will help someone else.... I couldn't find any threads anywhere that people were seeing their "dead\white" coralline color up immediately after a water change.

Latest threads

Top Bottom