Coralline Algae Growth Rate

Mikael

I have coralline algae on some of my rocks. How fast will it spread to my glass? I've been running the blue lights because I read it makes it grow faster.

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you, hope one of our salty members can help you today

SecretiveFish

IME, growth is highly dependent on PH (aiming for 8.3), alkalinity and calcium. If your levels are close to ideal, coraline algae can grow rather quickly.

Also, I have experienced more growth under 10K lighting as opposed to actinics. Actinics are amazing for making corals show their colors, but do not have the light spectrum for encouraging a lot of growth for corals (and algae).

Mikael

My PH fluctuates between 8.2 and 8.3. My calcium and alkalinity I can't currently check for. I've already noticed some spreading of the pinkish-purple coralline, the maroon coralline seems to stay on one rock, and the green seems to be dying and getting covered with the pinkish purple. I have a full spectrum light, should I run all at once?

Mike

Need to check and keep calcium and alkalinity up as well as keeping phosphates low. High phosphate levels inhibit coralline and coral growth rates. At least for me that is a winning strategy.

Mikael

Thank you, probably should be investing in a good reef master test kit here soon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
akcarroll12
Replies
Views
Reefing Madness
Replies
Views
DivingBellSpider
Replies
Views