Coralline Algae Frags, Initiation

nschomer

Wasn't quite sure which section to post this question in - I'm looking to seed some of my base rock with coralline algae, but don't see a market out there for selling it (outside of live rock). Some references have mentioned "coralline algae scrapings", but I don't see these for sale out there.
Anybody know of a source for coralline algaes? Preferably with some choice (I know most people have the red/purple encrusting ones, but I know there are greens and blues out there somewhere too). I would like to, as much as possible, control the species being introduced to my tank, which I why I want to avoid seeding my base rock with established live rock without knowing the biological composition.

Aquarist

Bump!

Thanks!

Ken

Mike

Indo Pacific Sea Farms sells them.

nschomer

Awesome!
Thanks Mike, exactly what I was looking for. They've got some Diatom eating Amphipods too (I was wondering if I should be upset about my first colonizers, but looks like they will play a part in the food web too).

nschomer

Update:
These things work! Got a set of 3 of them and installed in a high current area like they suggest about three weeks ago, already seeing at least half a dozen remote colonies on my base rock (~5-10mm diameter so far).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
harpua2002
Replies
Views
LiterallyHydro
Replies
Views
David C
Replies
Views