Coral Placement

LyssahBlue
so what’s the deal with coral placement anyway? So many corals say they need to be 6” or so from other corals, yet, do a web search for nano reefs and you’ll get 100 pictures of tanks with a plethora of corals stacked on top of each other like legos.

I just ordered a couple more corals and I’m staring at my tank like...where the heck am I going to put them

Edit: Current corals
Platygyra
Blue eye lepto
Alveopora
Waving hand
Kenya tree
Florida Ricordea

Just ordered
Green trumpet and a Duncan

stella1979
Yay! I'm so glad you got a Duncan, AND a trumpet! Both really great, easy corals. How's Alvie doing these days?

Coral placement... hmmm, what you don't often see in pics is how corals that are touching are messing each other up. It's not always readily apparent, but some loss will occur to one or both corals. That said, we're starting with small stuff here, and you certainly don't need to start out with everything at least 6 inches away. Just know that you may have to frag one or the other someday.

LyssahBlue
Two of my wish list corals! Now all I need is a hammer and I think I’ll be able to give it a rest for a bit. I’m so excited!!
Alvie and Alvie Jr are both doing great, I’m very pleasantly very surprised, lol :cat:

Glad they don’t ALL have to be 6” apart, I do have my Kenya and Ricordea pretty close to each other without an issue. Just hard when it seems everything I get is moderate light moderate flow...everything is in the bottom half of the tank. Something high light, high flow I could place no problem

stella1979
Sounds like it's almost time for an easy SPS... Check out Birdsnest/Stylo corals.

LyssahBlue
Sounds like it's almost time for an easy SPS... Check out Birdsnest/Stylo corals.
Ok!!!

blackfish
I would only put a couple trees in and give them plenty of space. These suckers grow like crazy and can easily take over. By the end of it, you'll be gifting some to your friends or trying to sell them!

Culprit
SPS sounds scary but they're really not. I have a big colony of birdsnest, and 2 smaller frags. They grow super fast and are beautiful! Another easy SPS is a pocillipora. I'd start with something small and cheap to make sure it works out as some people just can't grow some corals.

blackfish
SPS sounds scary but they're really not. I have a big colony of birdsnest, and 2 smaller frags. They grow super fast and are beautiful! Another easy SPS is a pocillipora. I'd start with something small and cheap to make sure it works out as some people just can't grow some corals.

Pocillopora damicornis are super hardy and easy to care for. Their polyps extend nicely if they are happy but there are some other SPS with nice green fluorescence you could try too! Montipora capricornis grow nicely and have that cool branch/plating effect. Acropora are hard to take care of but if you have an established tank and feel ok with SPS then I would give it a shot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

35 36 37 38
Replies
Views
Nart
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Top Bottom