Coral Only Tank Requirements

Invicitus

Reaction score
Hello, I have never kept a marine tank before, and I was wondering what equipment (and fertilizer?) would be required for a small mono species coral tank, as well as what coral would you recommend?

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
First you need to decide what corals you want.
What size tank?
You’ll need an RODI filter
Protein skimmer
Live rock
No fertilizers
You’ll need test kits for water quality and minerals
Pumps
Power heads
Some food a bit here and there for some species
Proper light

Invicitus

Reaction score
Thank you for responding! I was thinking Zoanthus, Green Star Polyp, Kenya Tree, or Pumping Xenia. Though I would be interested if you had any recommendations.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I personally like LPS corals but that’s just me.
I would not do green star polyps since they get everywhere.
Try a toadstool leather instead of Kenya tree. They are already and are more colorful.
I like tubestrea too. They are nonphotosynthetic so they need to be fed but beautiful and if care is taken to feed them they are fairly easy.

AquaPhilNJ

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For coral growth many people follow the philosophy of "heavy in heavy out". Because many corals are filter feeders feeding on the nutrition in the water. I don't have experience with a coral only tank, and don't believe many people do this. I feel coral growth may suffer if the corals aren't fed, and if corals are fed then you will end up needing the same equipment as a regular marine aquarium would use. Unless maximizing coral growth isn't a concern. This is something you may want to consider as you're doing your planning.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads