Coral Identification Please

Shja8789

HI everyone I’m new here and also to the saltwater aquarium hobby I was wondering if anyone can identify the below coral for me. Much appreciated!

stella1979

Welcome to Fishlore, and congrats on taking a step on the salty side!

Hmm, I'm not sure that's a coral at all. Looks more like an anemone to me, though I'm not experienced with nems so couldn't tell you what species that might be. Can you provide us with more pics, and maybe under different lighting? Sometimes it helps to show the piece under blues and whites.

littlemew4

I've been looking around google and I think it is must likely a bubble tip anemone. (You could double check on google if you want.) Hopefully I'm right.

stella1979

I hope you're right too! Lol, I've seen lots of those guys, and even though I don't keep them, googling is not needed. I also thought bubble tip, but it can be hard to tell sometimes, and I certainly don't want to get folks excited to find out I was wrong. Anyhow, perhaps we're right. I'm used to seeing them with longer pointy tips, but I think your guy is little and new, so perhaps he just needs to get established and grow a little before he shows us his full potential.

Shja8789

HI stella & littlemew4 thanks for the replies! I googled bubble tip anemone and it does look very similar so I think you might be right below is a couple more pics in different lighting. Thanks again
IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8503.JPG

stella1979

Nice pics!

The only thing that's throwing me is how visible the oral disc is. I don't have experience with btas, so I couldn't say for sure, but it seems unusual to me. Let me call on one of my favorite nem keepers to see what he can tell us... Oh Nart

Nart

stella1979
The only thing that is throwing me off is it's footing. is it on something? because the footing looks like it's on a dead skeleton of an LPS coral of some sort or is there serrations on it's footing.
Your coral actually resembles closely to a long tentacle plate coral. one way to tell for sure is when the tentacles retract, do you see a plate coral?
Bubble tip anemone's entire body are very soft and squishy to the touch.

stella1979

Aha! I see it now. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't look all that closely at the footing in the first pic. Just saw white and assumed it was on a frag plug. Sorry about that Shja8789 . In looking closely now, I see what looks like the skeleton of a plate coral too. Plate corals are very cool by the way. Wish I had room for one.

Thanks for the help Nart (and thanks for all the love today too bud.:happy

littlemew4

Thanks Nart, I didn't even think about looking at that.

Shja8789

Ahh yes that’s deffinately what it looks like! Yes when the tentacles are retracted I see a plate coral! I was reading about long tentacle plate corals & it said they can be mistaken for anemones! Thanks so much for all ur help everyone

stella1979

Not that I was much help, lol, but you are very welcome, and big congrats on the nice piece!! Please do share more of your tank with us. Our salty group is somewhat small, but we are stronger together and always glad to help when we can.

Shja8789

Will deffinately share more and it’s great to know there’s others out there that are willing to share their knowledge and help out newbies like me hehe. While I’m at it does anyone know the names of these 4 below?

IMG_8538.JPG

IMG_8537.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

IMG_8535.JPG

Hope everyone’s having a great day!

stella1979

Lol, I feel like I've gotten fairly decent at identification over the last couple of years, but you're getting me again with that first one. The top looks almost like a stony montI cap, (which is an SPS, small polyp stony) but it also looks like a large polyp something when you look at the base. From that point of view in resembles a palythoa, but the texture on top just doesn't jive. So, is it soft, or hard?

The other pics are all from the euphyllia family, yay!!! Love them! You have a hammer in the 2nd pic, and a couple of torch corals in 3 and 4. I love them all... but make sure you keep other corals away from them. Torches are especially mean! One tentacle of my own torch coral made contact with a war coral a few times, and a war 'ain't no slouch'. The war was losing that battle though, a few polyps died, and the torch moved.

Shja8789

Thanks so much for your wisdom love the hammer I could watch it for hours! Will post some pics of full tank soon! Have a fantastic day!

littlemew4

Culprit

The top pic on the post with the hammer and torch corals is a mushroom 2nd pic is a hammer and 3&4 are torches.

You have a very happy plate coral! Mine tentacles get really long but they're more spaced out, you can see the fluffy base covering the skeleton on mine in between the tentacles.

stella1979

I was sort of thinking that top pic was a mushroom too... just never saw one with such a long 'stem' leading down to the foot. Of course, I only have a few shrooms, so my experience is limited. Have you seen a shroom stretched like that before Culprit ?

Culprit

stella1979 said:
I was sort of thinking that top pic was a mushroom too... just never saw one with such a long 'stem' leading down to the foot. Of course, I only have a few shrooms, so my experience is limited. Have you seen a shroom stretched like that before Culprit ?
Its definitely a shroom. The foot will stretch really far into the rock. When one of mine gets in low light it'll stretch up real high like that. The mouth is a dead giveaway too.

GetFreshedAquariums

I haven't read all of this thread so sorry if I repeated something. But looks like a heliofuniga to me. Looks like its got that calcium skeleton base with the large polyps that resemble a smaller fungia but just bigger.

Thunder_o_b

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore

Shja8789

Thanks guys! Unfortunately my long tentacle plate/heliofungia suddenly isn’t looking so good
The tentacle’s aren’t inflating like they used to. I’ve moved him to the sand bed as I read that’s where they prefer to be. Anyone have any other ideas?

Shja8789

IMG_8640.JPG

stella1979

Oh dear... I wish I knew anything at all specifically about these beauties. Was it showing signs of unhappiness before the move or only after? I understand how worrying this can be. Is his mouth usually so wide?

All I have to compare this to is my own LPS, and I can tell you that acans get moody for no reason at all now and then, so does my frogspawn, and the Duncan can be slow to re-inflate after some kind of physical interaction... like my hand or the feeding tools accidentally brushing against it. My Duncan was also very slow to adjust to my tank. It was one of my first corals and I kept it on a frag plug in the sand. For a long time, I wondered why the tentacles didn't get as long as they had been at the LFS. It looked all stubby! I moved it a few times, into higher and lower light, but couldn't find what made it happy. About 2 months after getting it, I gave up on finding where it was happy and mounted it where I wanted to... a place I'd figured it would be happy anyway. About a month after that, that single polyp was twice the size it had been at the LFS, and within a couple more months, it had sprouted 6 new baby polyps. This experience taught me that much like a tree, a coral is happy when it is 'rooted' in place.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'd try not to worry too much just yet. That Duncan stressed me out for weeks and weeks, then the first time an acan got mad for days, I freaked out. I had a little more experience when I got the frogspawn, enough that it irked me how I worried over it, when it took all of 4 days to adjust to my tank and fully extend. Corals can be moody and slow to recover from a stressor.

Keep the water clean and if it gets worse, consider a change in lighting perhaps? How much closer to the light was its last spot? Flow would be the other thing to think about. Any big changes there? I'd imagine these guys don't want too much light or flow since they are found on the sand, but a change is a change and corals like stability best. Give it some time to adjust and don't touch it unless things get worse. Any more changes at this time could further upset it. Don't feed it either at this time. Whether this is true or not, idk, but my thinking is that an upset coral needs to reserve energy for getting better, and not need to use any for digesting. Remember that in the wild, a coral may go through times of abundant food, and times with no food at all... and they are perfectly capable of supporting themselves with only light, clean water, and flow.

Good luck, and I'm rooting for your little guy!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom