Coral ID?

ChrisCoates

HI got 2 corals in my tank zoas and pulsing Xenia found these two pollop type things that open and close quite often no idea what they are or where they came from? any ideas? Sorry for the bad pics ahah

saltwater60

Hard to see. I’d say a mushroom coral that’s small and hasn’t had proper light. That’s spitballing it because I really can’t see it. Try to get a better picture please.

ChrisCoates

Can’t really get a better picture you can see it better on a video but can’t attach one..?

saltwater60

ChrisCoates said:
Can’t really get a better picture you can see it better on a video but can’t attach one..?
Put the video on YouTube and post the link.

ChrisCoates

saltwater60 said:
Put the video on YouTube and post the link.

That’s the best I can do from my phone

saltwater60

That’s a weird one. Never seen anything like it. It has 3 loves and closes up like that? Is it soft or hard?

ChrisCoates

I believe it’s soft there’s one slightly behind it also which you can barely see. They are like hollow tubes

saltwater60

Don’t think it is but check out clove polyps. Remember they come in a huge variety of colors and sizes.

ChrisCoates

Thanks for your help but I doubt it is that also due to it not opening up like that completely stumped by this

saltwater60 said:
Don’t think it is but check out clove polyps. Remember they come in a huge variety of colors and sizes.

ChrisCoates

saltwater60 said:
Do you reckon it could be a tunicate?

saltwater60

ChrisCoates said:
Do you reckon it could be a tunicate?
You have a better view than I do but from what I’m seeing I doubt it.
It seems to have 4 finger? Tentacle? That open and close just out of a hole in the live rock. Tunicates normally have just one round opening.
I err on the side of caution and anything that looks harmful doesn’t last long with me. Doesn’t seem harmful but you could try a fresh water dip to see if something comes out. My only fear is that it’s some sort of worm with just its mouth out. Are you feeding in that video?

ChrisCoates

In the video I am feeding, what your seeing as four fingers (the darker bit) is actually 4 blocks of darker colour on one tube. Which looks to be actually a round opening doubtful that it’s a worm in there seeing my live rock is artificial!

saltwater60

That’s a touch one. Sometimes things hitch a ride on corals and other things you add. Try shining a light in there or getting to an angle that you can see the base of the things to see how it’s attached to the love rock.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom