Coral Id Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Esimm03, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Esimm03

Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +897
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hi,
    Just wondering what you guys think this coral may be? It's a lps coral, I reckon it may be a badly fragged scoly? But a second opinion would be useful

Thanks,
    Ethan

P.s, it's the green one in the middle IMG_20190725_103852.

2. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    Actually those look to be all SPS corals to me. Not sure which since I try to avoid SPS (due to the fact that they are among the most demanding corals).

3. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ratings:
    +897
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok, it's fleshy with a big mouth in the middle - a single polyp... I'm pretty sure it's lps, will take some photos of it when it's in my tank, it's come with me across the UK, but looks to be doing ok, a little receded but looks ok.

Ethan

4. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +9,574
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm totally unsure but think it's some kind of 'meat' coral... maybe Acanthophylia or Cynarina?

Sorry @Jesterrace but I think there's only one SPS there, being the birdsnest looking dude up top. I think his neighbor is a Pectinia LPS but what I really want to bring to your attention is my great looove for the family faviidae. I know you prefer easier care LPS and also know of your success with euphyllia, and this makes me think you'd love these guys. The worst thing about favias or favites are their stingers but I've never seen mine get very long and I've found these corals to be super easy-care. Anyway, those dotted looking dudes are favias, they are not uber popular so not often expensive, they come in SO many colors, and they are so easy to keep. Just a suggestion, but I think you should give family faviidae a try. I have a LOT of this family and more than half of them grow faster than I'd like them to.

So guys, I can tell you that the following list from the faviidae family (brain corals btw) has been very rewarding to keep, (if a little aggravating because the first species is growing onto my birdsnest and encroaching on my favorite acro... AND, I have no idea how to stop it without taking a chisel to a big rock.:eek

Leptastrea (the Beast... I have two color variations)
    Favias (3 of these)
    Favites (the War Coral, who is receding due to contact with a mushroom... not so scary, huh?)
    Platygyra (officially a Jason Fox High Voltage Platygyra, the brainiest looking of my brains)

Try faviidae corals my friends! They are easy-peasy, I promise, and there's so much variation that everyone can find one that they will think is just gorgeous... and they are, (my fav that I have is called a Necromancer Favia.:smuggrin Just... give them their space.:vamp:

5. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    I stand corrected then. Corals outside of Euphyllia really aren't my forte.

6. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,431
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Center one does look like a scoly to me .

7. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ratings:
    +897
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok, always wanted a meat coral, got it for only £17 heavily discounted as my order was messed up!

Love faviidaes! (Hope I spelt it right!?) I think I've got one... But not sure, it's isolated just in case, those ones in the shop were really nice, may get one next time in in Yorkshire...

You just reminded me of the war coral, it's actually one of the corals I had on my 'must get' list for when I start reefkeeping (back in 2016)... I may get one when I'm home from my trip next week, thanks for reminding me lol!

Ethan

That's the one I'm on about, here's a better pic, took it back in the train (which was delayed in 36°c heat) it's doing ok but a bit receded, I think it will make it through however, if it is a scoly, will it grow into a circular shape? It's badly cut I think, and that may be why it was so cheap?

Thanks,
    Ethan IMG_20190725_190508.IMG_20190725_190514.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2019
  8. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,431
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If it likes your tank and placement it should grow out onto other surfaces I believe ?
    Nature is not always perfect and round ,that is the beauty ..
    They say you can cut these any way you like basically ! They use the same saws I would to cut floor tile but smaller and cheaper !
    Kind of unbelievable when you really think about it but sea creatures grow legs and such back also when lost so ???

9. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ratings:
    +897
    Experience:
    3 years
    Yea, it would look really bad of everything was mathematically perfect , I don't mind it's shape (actually quite like it!) But was unsure as to if it would get bigger or not, I've seen those saws, used one to frag a Duncan once... It is pretty cool, have you seen the axalotl? They will grow legs back, experiments have been done according to Google, and they've made them with multiple arms !

Ethan

10. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ratings:
    +897
    Experience:
    3 years
    Just got back from a holiday, and this is what the coral looks like now, I'm 90% sure it's a scoly....

Ethan 1565807087398.