Coral Id Help

Kyle.

Hi,

I recently received a few corals from friends who were unsure of what types they are. I was hoping for some ID help. I believe the trumpets to be a candy cane trumpet? But otherwise I'm unsure.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7929-1.jpg

IMG_7930-1.jpg

IMG_7949-1.jpg

IMG_7958-1.jpg

IMG_7957-1.jpg

KinsKicks

Hello!

Okie...lets see

1) Yellow finger Gorgonian (Diodogorgia nodulifera or Didogorgia spp). There considered difficult/expert to keep, but they're are very rewarding if you can care for them. If you gets their needs correct, they'll grow white polyps on the red calyces.

2) looks like the start of Birds Nest Coral ((Seriatopora hystrix). It's a but harder to identify because it's small, but it could grow out to be another types of hard coral; maybe even staghorn. Have to let it grow out

3) This one is harder to identify because it is still small; it could be the offshoot of any hard coral really. I want to say it's a pillar coral (Dendrogyra cylindricus); it has the correct shape build, but wait until is grows out more.

4) yes, that's a candy cane trumpet coral

5) Mushroom coral (Rhodactis sp.). That's a really nice one btw

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Kyle.

Thanks so much for the info. I googled all of them and read up on them and I believe you're right about all except the first one. It's probably because of the poor quality of my picture, but it doesn't look quite as red as the yellow fingered gorgonian and has small polyps instead of the large ones I see in the gorgonian pictures.

Thanks!

Kyle.

1e7a3c42bf5e4f8554abed25f62ab7d8.jpg

KinsKicks

That's actually helpful! Thanks! The first pic was a but small, so I couldn't zoom in as well to see it, and thanks for telling me about the polyps, couldn't see them very well or you had the lights on (polyps come out at night). You're right about the yellow finger as the polyps are larger. But it is a gorgonian. I would like to say a Yelloe Deepwater Gorgonian; the polyps are much smaller and the red color is more dulled in these types.

LJC6780

Kyle. said:
Hi,

I recently received a few corals from friends who were unsure of what types they are. I was hoping for some ID help. I believe the trumpets to be a candy cane trumpet? But otherwise I'm unsure.

Thanks in advance!
I'd say birdsnest on this one.

IMG_7929-1.jpg

And this one I'd guess at either pocillopora or stylo. Look them up and see which one you think. I have a few similar that I'm waiting to grow more so I can correctly identify.

IMG_7930-1.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom