Coral for absolute beginners?

Sauceboat

Hello to the Saltwater side of Fishlore!
Lately I’ve been considering doing a setup without any fish or invertebrates (not really interested in keeping them at the moment) but just live rock and maybe one soft coral in a five gallon tank. I, however, have no experience with saltwater or reefs. And I was just wondering if you had any advice for me. Is this even possible? What does the care of a coral consist of? What do I need to know before jumping into something like this? Is there a species of coral that is particularly less difficult to kill? Thank you!

WRWAquarium

I'm no expert on the salty side. Just starting out without reef spec lights on my little tank yet. I have a pretty healthy pulsing xenia growing.

INeedHelpLol

It is certainly possible. Xenia, green star polyps, leathers, and mushrooms are some of the more "hard to kill" coral- keep in mind that xenia tends to grow in rather, invasive speeds once it really kicks in, so in a smaller tank it may take over in not so long. green star polyps ca. grow pretty fast too. amazing, stunning coral though. I may not have a reef yet, but if there's one tip that I've read that seems to be a very common theme in the saltwater hobby, it's that stability (and patience ofc) is everything. and coral, for the most part are pretty adaptive. in general, most of your softies are going to be pretty "easy" to keep relative to your lps and sps; lps come next and finally: sps

just some tips I've read during my research, hope this helps! the saltwater hobby seems super rewarding.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Marsh980
  • Corals
Replies
Views
Marsh980
Replies
Views
saltwater60
  • Lollipop0912
  • Corals
Replies