Coral dead?

Mrfister1116

Reaction score
So I moved and set up my fish room yay!!! .... and then had a horrible ammonia spike 4ppm

someone all the fish seemed to have made it, got it down to 0 ammonia now .25 nitrites

I bought some fritz 9(gallon) I’m going to add when it comes in tomorrow

my leather/toadstool corals look pretty bad but they’ve always been prima donnas about Moving in general so I’m not worried about them yet

my wife’s Xenia though has me worried ... shockingly it’s decline is what clued me in to an issue with the water and it’s not bouncing back like my mushroom colonies have

do you think from these pictures there’s any hope for it?

Attachments

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mrfister1116 said:
Some better pictures
Hey, I am not the best with this but I asked a friend and this is what they had to say.

"Xenia can be pretty sensitive for a soft coral and can melt for a variety of reasons- 4ppm ammonia certainly could be the culprit (as well as pH/salinity shock from moving tanks). At this point I'd simply hope and wait and ensure nitrates were in range and the light wasn't too bright for the xenia. Otherwise, it's a **** shoot on whether it recovers or dies. Hoping for the best!"

OP
Mrfister1116

Mrfister1116

Reaction score
Thanks... I ordered a falling of dr Tim’s I’m adding in today... nitrates were okay last night, hopefully adding bacteria will get the nitrites back in line, though they weren’t enough to freak me out yet.
I really should have been testing the levels more I just did not expect such a crash with the move... I moved all the sand and rocks in a big stock tank full of old water and used all fresh mixed saltwater in the new tanks ... live and learn I suppose

New Threads