Coral Crushed For Ph? Question

1. k

kashbill New Member Member

i just bought crushed coral yesterday ,plan to use as ph increase method, but it still big like 1cm diameter, should i crushed it more smaller? It is better to put inside the filter or hang on side of aquarium?

2. qchris87

qchris87 Well Known Member Member

Yeah that seems a little big. I put mine in a mesh bag used for ceramics or such and add it to my filter.

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I put mine in a mesh bag as well. The bag I got was a little rocky fine grain...not sure if that makes sense.

The ratio I recommend should be 1 cup to 40 gallons. You can do less if you want to increase a little bit. I had a 6.0 pH. One cup brought it to 7.4ish.

4. OP
    OP
    k

i put 1cup in mesh and put it on side tank yesterday, but this morning still 6.4ph

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tried putting it in the filter? The way I see it is either use it as substrate or put it in the filter do water runs through it and not just around it.

Try putting into the filter and see if that increases it.

6. OP
    OP
    k

i see, so i need to remove one part of my canister media.

7. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

You don’t need to remove something, just squeeze it in a tray. The flow rate may be a little less but you’ll be sure waters flowing through it.

8. OP
    OP
    k

ok thanks

9. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

If the pieces are to big to fit in your filter - make the coral smaller with a hammer. Quick fix!

10. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Coral isn't an instant fix. It takes a while because it has to slowly dissolve. It will keep your PH stable by raising and stabilizing the kh/gh of the water.