Coral/Anemone ID Help 

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey Guys,

This little guy/guys looked pretty rough through the transition from the previous owners setup to mine.
However, yesterday he was in the center of the tank, and pretty white, when I left for work. When I got home he was in the corner of the tank and colored up like in the pictures below.

Can anyone tell me what this is? (sorry my phone camera sucks)

Attachments

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@stella1979 @Jesterrace @Lchi87 (i think you all have SW tanks right?)
My vote is still a rock flower anemone that is in the process of splitting - I see two distinct mouths in photo #2. But then is doesn't have the "beaded" look to the tentacles that rock flowers have...hmmmm
No skeleton, right Seany?

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Magicpenny75 said:
@stella1979 @Jesterrace @Lchi87 (i think you all have SW tanks right?)
My vote is still a rock flower anemone that is in the process of splitting - I see two distinct mouths in photo #2. But then is doesn't have the "beaded" look to the tentacles that rock flowers have...hmmmm
No skeleton, right Seany?
I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of a skeleton haha. Will check after work

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like an elegance coral with some bleaching to me.

Was it heavy when you put it in the tank? If it has a skeleton it should have some weight to it. That would be a key piece of evidence here.

If it’s moving around it’s likely an anemone since the weight of a coral skeleton would keep it put.

Could be a seabae anemone. They don’t normally have 2 mouths though.

Upon a closer look it looks to have 3-4 mouths. I’d definitely say elegance coral. If it’s free floating without a skeleton it likely will not survive. Elegance corals can be touchy.

What cause Frogspawn or Elegance flesh to fall out of the skeleton - Reef Central Online Community

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Magicpenny75 said:
I was afraid of this... I'm hopeful that maybe when it expanded the current moved it. I've had that happen with LPS that was that fluffy and wasn't glued down.
Elegance corals usually have large cone shaped skeletons. I don’t think the current would be able to move it. Some LPS have a different skeleton per head but elegance corals have one large cones shaped skeleton usually. I’d say the head dropped off. Not all is a loss. There is a slim chance the head could regrow its skeleton. I’ve had a hammer regrow. Elegance corals are a bit touchy though and this one seems a bit bleached out although the OP said it has colored up fairly rapidly. Baby it and see what happens. These corals can be well...wait for it... elegant!!!

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
saltwater60 said:
Looks like an elegance coral with some bleaching to me.

Was it heavy when you put it in the tank? If it has a skeleton it should have some weight to it. That would be a key piece of evidence here.

If it’s moving around it’s likely an anemone since the weight of a coral skeleton would keep it put.

Could be a seabae anemone. They don’t normally have 2 mouths though.
Also agree! Def bleached elegance coral.

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It didn't make it, but there was no skeleton base. Just the polyp. It would blow up every day and gain color, but eventually completely bleached.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Don’t take it personal since it had a very small chance of survival before you acquired it. Likely whoever sold it to you knew it was dying and wanted to unload it quickly. Elegance corals have pretty poor survival rates even with skeletons attached and are known for this. Some creatures are beautiful but that doesn’t mean they belong in a glass box. Best of luck!!!

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agreed.

I bought an entire tank setup from a guy who was working off pretty old information. Just about everything was covered in algae, had sky high nitrates etc... I'm amazed the fish were fine.

The elegance polyps had already left the base before I got the setup.

I saw something like a 4% chance they make it after that, and that most indonesian elegance don't do well in aquariums at all.

Much more devastated by the fish I lost yesterday :(

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
SeanyBaggs123 said:
Agreed.

I bought an entire tank setup from a guy who was working off pretty old information. Just about everything was covered in algae, had sky high nitrates etc... I'm amazed the fish were fine.

The elegance polyps had already left the base before I got the setup.

I saw something like a 4% chance they make it after that, and that most indonesian elegance don't do well in aquariums at all.

Much more devastated by the fish I lost yesterday :(
Ah that sucks. I guess it’s a gamble when you buy a set up like that.
What fish did you lose and do you know what caused it?

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Let me try to recap....

I traded the fish that came with the setup to a LFS I'd never used.
Asked to come back at a later date to get a clown pair, lawnmower blenny, and a frogspawn frag.

When I returned for the clown pair he "didn't like the way the one looked" but still grabbed the other clown from the same tank, and a different clown from another tank.

One of the clowns had a inflamed/red gill, and the gill plate looked odd that night. Also, it looked like he may have had a few white spots on his face, but it was hard to tell because there is a ton of microbubbles in the DT from lack of bubble trap in sump.

The next morning he was semi listless and looked like there may have been more spots. Gave him a freshwater dip for 4 minutes or so, and he couldn't regain equilibrium. I euthanized.

Now just trying to determine whether it really was a parasite... whether the other fish have it... and what to do.

The blenny has seemed normal from the beginning, and the remaining clown does have a slight gill flare on one side, but is otherwise normal. Ugghhhhhh

Water parameters are great with the exception of High Nitrates (30ppm)

Attachments

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The difficult part is whether the fish was already sick when I got it....

I have seachem metroplex, kanaplex, prazi pro, and Ich-x (formalin and malachite green).
Will have a heater for the QT tank tomorrow. So I could leave the tank fallow and treat them.... Problem is deciding what to treat for....

coralbandit said:
Loose your clown??
Its Brook then ..Ich does not kill that fast ..
I'm just not sure I didn't kill it with the stress of the freshwater dip

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry this has been hard for you. I feel partially responsible for leading you down this path, like I put a SCUBA tank on you, swam down 60 ft and said "well good luck!"
Just remember - don't panic. Keep testing every day. Observe, and try to keep the stress level of the fish as low as you can. Remember, the ocean is unchanging, and any change is really stressful for marine critters. Breathe. Just keep swimming.

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If it weren't for you I wouldn't have experienced or truly known just how cool marine tanks can be!
Don't apologize! I knew better than to take fish from a store I consistently saw sick fish in, and I moved too fast. That's my fault!

You're still awesome, and I will totally do that!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom