Copper Sulfate In Api Algae Eater Wafer Safe For Shrimp?

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I recently purchased some of the API algae eaters in the hopes that I could feed them to my shrimp. However, I just looked at the ingredients list and found copper sulfate in it. I know that RCS are sensitive to copper, so would this be harmful to them?

Don't have shrimp yet but I will be getting some in 1.5 months so that my tank can establish itself a bit more (started the tank on April 25th currently is cycled with 0 ammonia, 0.25 nitrite, 10 nitrate).

I would like to know if I threw my money down the drain or not.

This is what i bought: API® Algae Eater Premium Algae Wafers Fish Food | fish Food | PetSmart

BillynJennifer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You would think any amount of copper would kill your Cherry Shrimp, but they actually need a very minute amount to live. You will be good with using that as food.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've seen a lot of people on here who feed them, so I think you should be ok. Personally, I usually order the ones without the copper, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone with bad experiences from the ones that do have copper. Congrats on the upcoming tank! Shrimp are definitely one of my favorites

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used the same ones containing the copper and my Amano Shrimp go nuts for them. I also have used them with my RCS (cherry shrimp) and have not had a problem, though I would put two in once a week. I stopped as I figured they get enough biofilm and algae naturally and they are not really needed.
Cory’s like them as well.

Bottom line I think they are fine, you will notice some ferts also contain small amounts of copper they are fine to us as directed also, if you go planted tank that’s to say.
Enjoy your shrimp, I am happy you not rushing the tank let it get cycled and stable then add the shrimp.
Just out of curiosity where are you going to get your shrimp from? And how many? Any other inhabitants going in the tank or is it just for them?

Reaction score
tjander said:
I have used the same ones containing the copper and my Amano Shrimp go nuts for them. I also have used them with my RCS (cherry shrimp) and have not had a problem, though I would put two in once a week. I stopped as I figured they get enough biofilm and algae naturally and they are not really needed.
Cory’s like them as well.

Bottom line I think they are fine, you will notice some ferts also contain small amounts of copper they are fine to us as directed also, if you go planted tank that’s to say.
Enjoy your shrimp, I am happy you not rushing the tank let it get cycled and stable then add the shrimp.
Just out of curiosity where are you going to get your shrimp from? And how many? Any other inhabitants going in the tank or is it just for them?

I currently have a betta in there (I've been considering switiching it out for 6 neon tetras). I was either going to get them from a big Al that's near by or get then from someone on kijiji or FB group. I was thinking of starting off with 10. I live in Toronto Canada (idk if that shows) if you have any other options I'd be glad to hear about them.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta and neons may eat your shrimp. They will most definitely eat any zoes (baby shrimp) you may end up with.
IMO don’t mix fish and shrimp at the start get your Colony going and then maybe add some small non-aggressive fish

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Chilis would be better with shrimp, I think - I don't even think they could eat most of the babies because they're so tiny.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom