Copper Pipes in new Home

1. TXTanks Initiate Member

Hi all,

We just moved into a new house in NC and this house has copper pipes (and a water softener) our old house did not.

I wanted to take our 29 gallon tank and turn it into a shrimp tank with maybe neons and some cory cats. Am I doomed with the copper pipes? Should I just fill the tank with distilled water from the grocery store? Hubby isn't keen on that idea, but if it's what it takes than I'll do it.

Was hoping to get some cherry shrimp and then if they did well add some Blue Tigers.

pH for tank is 7.6 and the GH is 30 and Kh is 40? according to the test strips. I have a better method of testing coming but that's what was available at the local shop.

Substrate in the tanks is pool sand, I have a large piece of driftwood and live plants already in the tank. It's currently cycling with two guppies in it (I also used the bacteria starter) with a completely new AquaClear 50 on it. I do have a prefilter sponge for the intake to protect the shrimp. Filter has the carbon package in it that it came with.

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I don't have experience with soft water ( hope someone else can answer you on that ) but if you use prime as your water conditioner, it should help against hard metals such as copper. Plenty of people have copper pipes ( and may not realize )

You could also buy an API test for copper and see what the levels are out of your faucet.

With prime you can double dose with no ill effects or toxicity to the fish.

3. Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

Your GH and KH is to low for shrimp. What you can do to correct this is sprinkle about a cup of crushed coral into your tank.

I have very little knowlage about water softening systems. I do know one uses salt though, and you should check to see what one you have.

Oh CindiL! I have another one for joooooo

4. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi2

Do you have any taps in the house that are not softened? If so, you may be better off using that water. Generally speaking, the kitchen faucet cold is usually hard water (but not always). Will you test it? Sometimes there is a faucet in a basement that is not softened or there is a valve on the water softener you can push to bypass the softening effects while using water (like to fill a fish tank). The problem with softeners is that they remove calcium and magnesium ions(that shrimp and other fish need) and subtitute then for sodium chloride ions which does the fish no good.

Your KH is low but maybe with adding in the coral that will be enough to help out both the GH and KH enough. You can use 1/2 cup to 1 cup in your filter within a media bag (this can replace the biomax) and will add the needed minerals to the tank.

As far as the copper, it's hard to say. Shrimp are very sensitive to copper. It might be worth getting a copper test before investing in shrimp, especially if the house is older.