Copepods Good For Aquarium? Where To Get Them? Help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by ibiaquariums, Mar 19, 2010.

1. i

ibiaquariums Valued Member Member

Hi guys and girls... need to know a bit about copepods...

Good or bad for the tank??

How would i go about getting hold of them? and then maintaining?

Do they? and HOW do they even benefit the tank?

any help is great help! :)

2. m

master of fishes New Member Member

hello.
    copepods are actually bad for the tank.It depends.
    they attack small fry.they would not do any harm in a community tank but they will capture fry in a breeding tank.to get a hold of them i heard you could buy a maze kind of net to really capture them.well i would say they will not benefit the tank but they do help a little by eating diatoms,bacteria and single celled organisms in the water.
    i hope my answer helped!

3. D

David C Well Known Member Member

copepods are great for a tank. The detritus eating species will help keep the tank clean. They also are a natural food source for a number of fish, especially mandarins. Most people set up little breeding areas in their refugiums just to keep populations up. If you bought some chaeto or LR, you likely already have them in your tank. If not, you can buy culturing kits online from any number of sources, just google them.

Dave

4. carlos413

carlos413 Valued Member Member

+1 Copepods = good

5. OP
    OP
    i

I have live rock in my saltwater set up.. and at night with the nightlight on, i see one or two quick centipede-like critters but with alot less legs! could this be them? their too small and fast for pictures.. *sob sob*

Are copepods delicate? or a hardened species?

Is their anything i should take note off when trying to get the population up? ei: like how coppers bad for inverts...

time for some google action!

cheers!

6. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

centipede-like critters could be bristle worms(fire worms) and not at all Copepods..Copepodes look like flees in the tank

7. OP
    OP
    i

Yes thanks, that is def them right their (just googled).

By the sounds of it? they are good for the tank rom what i researched, any ideas how i can increase the population.. or will they just increase in good time?!

Could i have both... copepods and bristle worms... or do they clash?!

anyone??!

cheers!

8. D

You can have both. Some people swear by bristle worms, others swear at them. Just be careful when moving rocks, when they get big, they can sting or bite, but it supposedly hurts a little. Some species of crabs eat them if you choose to get rid of them, or you can use traps.

Dave

9. m

can bristle worms be found in freshwater?
    because my friend found 1 in his freshwater tank.

10. D

Not sure, I thought they were only SW but I've never actually looked into it, just an assumption.

Dave

11. m

i saw bristle worms.
    they are scary to death man.i hate them never buy them.the petstores cheat on u just cause ur so nice and listen to the petstore all the time.

12. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

And then they could be the mostly helpful amphipods as well.

Here's a pic of one I caught in my Nano.

Notice the high spirulina/algae content in its digestive tract.

One of the largest I've manage to catch is up to 1/4" long.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

Attached Files:

13. m

hey i saw one of those in the past in my betta tanks.but it was actually collonies of fungus on my fish food.i think it looked like that.

14. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

this is what bristle worms look like

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  15. OP
    OP
    i

Woah man scary things... dont know if i really want them in my tank to look at loooool... id be holding a warrant somewhat close-by at every glance of my tank lol! The ones i see in my tank and night are nowhere near that size but are of the same shape... less legs, maybe because their infant.. could be.. not really sure!!

16. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

17. m

i told you bristle worms are pretty scary!!!!!!!!!

18. OP
    OP
    i

great thinking moderator lol! HIGH FIVE!

lol@master, indeed you wasnt lying there!

Hmm i dont think i will encourage their growth... in my display tank anyway, maybe in a ref where i ill have one huge piece of LR that i will never move haha. Dont fancy any bites thanx.

I have another quick question... for anyone and everyone that could advise... :)

I seem to be growing some sort of coral/polyp-like specimen, its like a passion flower in its shape, take no notice of any colours, just the shape... its stuck to a piece of LR, and so tiny i can barely see it with my naked eye so i cant get a pic yet... its a blurry white/transparent colour... now at the moment i have very basic lighting, well not powerfull/good enough to house the type of corals ive researched and have really taken a liking too, however this one seems to of grown from scratch.... it was in a place (on this LR - still is attached) that has about 50% shade and 50% light, so its getting light but not brightly lit (low light conditions)... should i leave it where it is? to grow... or should i relocate it to a place with more enhanced lighting conditions? ive 2 t5's that light the tank...

thanks guys n girls!

19. Sarrixx

Sarrixx Valued Member Member

how big was your tank again? i say move the bit of LR into direct light and try to encourage its growth enough so you can get a pic so we can ID it :D!

20. m

i dont know why but lots of people convert FW into SW.
    isnt it stressful for the fish alot?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice