Cooling Your Tank

richiep

As temperatures push to mid 30c in the UK tanks start to suffer, and as i'v found once the water temp pushes to 30c or so it won't come back down much as ambient temperatures don't stay down long enough for the tank to drop before the next day of hot weather starts, and the temperature in my park home didn't drop below 19c last night so the tanks have a hard time, and as for my shrimp tanks that can lead to a lot of deaths, this information is what i'v learnt from other experienced Aquarist over the years and a lot of you may already know, so after last years bout of hot weather this is what i'v done, first of all I open all tank lids, keep the lights turned off as long as possible as i'v found even LED units give off heat and with the lids closed that heat builds, float ice packs in tanks but even that's hard as your ice stock drops, the best way i'v found is to move the air across the top of the tank as the picture shows. this tank has an Aqua medic T controller twin the Temperature doesn't go above 23.2c before the fans come on, the fans take the temperature down to 22.5c then cuts out, these T controllers are fully adjustable for temperature control, around £65, the fan was £19.99 on ebay, what other people do is direct tall house fans across the surface which dose the same but not as efficient, you will have to do water top ups as the fans cause evaporation, others do water changes but how much and how often I don't know,perhaps someone else can advise on that, hope this little bit of information is useful and anyone who can add to this please do, two photos, before and after the fans have worked and the time its taken to drop the temperature,

Attachments

• 20180724_101024.jpg
    20180724_101024.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180724_123451.jpg
    20180724_123451.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 66

Goldfishfreak

Thanks for this Info!

I live in south western Ontario and we get some of the hottest summers and coldest winters.

To combat the winters I get heaters with a higher wattage because one of my tanks is in my basement, and it doesn't get too hot in the summer.

I'm thankful the one upstairs is just my betta because even with the AC cranked when it's 45°c outside because of the humidity your house doesn't stay very cold.

In the winter it gets - 25°c in February. And the basement one is ok because of the heater. But the 10 gallon betta suffers because I bought it in a kit and the heater came with it. So I had to move it into our fireplace room. It's a wood fireplace that keeps most of our upstairs quite warm. So this year when we broke some records and dropped to - 28°C I was thankful I moved it.

And I have always wanted and axolotl but even in my basement it's too hot in the summer so I'm glad that now I have hope of getting one!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
rainbowsprinkles
Replies
Views
Rojer Ramjet
Replies
Views