Cooling Fan Questions Help

1. G

Guppy43 Valued Member Member

Just added a cooling fan to my main 160 gallon display tank. I just need some experts’ opinion on some things. Pls help if you can, Thanks in advance :)

1) When the light is off, should I turn off the fan too?

2)The fan is set to maximum and creates a current along the length of the tank. Most of my mid dwellers( various tetras, ricefish and rasboras) seem to be swim back and forth on the current. But fishes like my small hocky stick shoal and lone fire panda guppy are now staying firmly on the opposite side of the tank or having trouble swimming where the current is. Should I be worried?

3)Totally unrelated but some of my corries are now bashing the water surface. When the come up for air, they make big splashes. Is something wrong?

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

If the lid of the tank doesn't allow for good air flow alone, then leave the fan on. My pump got unplugged by accident one day and my fish were ghasping at the surface. My canister filter doesn't bring in air to the tank. Once my airstones were plugged back in, everything returned to normal.

3. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

I am using a small fan (6 inch) from Wal-mart and just use it set on low. It drops the temp around 7 degrees in my 46 gallon goldfish aquarium. Maybe two fans, one on either side set on low might be less stressful for the fish? (if that's even possible in your situation).

4. finnipper59

You could even get a small pump an hose. You wouldn't even need an airstone nor place the hose in the water. Just place it under the lid to keep fresh air between the lid and water surface.

5. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Im confused. Do you have a cooling fan or a powerhead? What your describing is a powehead, fans wouldn't cause that much water movement.

6. OP
    OP
    G

Lid’s got pretty good ventilation

Definitely a cooling fan. The fan blows at a downwards lower and lower mid aren’t affected at all just the upper tiers that have the current where the hockeys and guppy hang around.
    Sorry if I didn’t phrase it right

7. finnipper59

Oxygen levels can get low on the lower areas of the tank without good circulation. I definitely recommend an air pump with an airstone placed at the bottom of the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    G

Already got that covered :D

2 HOBs,a powerhead filter and 2 air pumps feeding into a sponge filter each