cooling a tank

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a 10 gallon heated (not that it is nessicary with a heat index of 104 the last two days and no AC) and filtered with a Inari and a Kappa (who seems to like crawling up the intake and eating the bacteria out of the filter) i've been doing water changes everyday and treating the cooler replacement water now i'm sick of doing water changes Inari hates them and I'm running out of conditioners (and money to but conditioners :-\) last night after the water change and b4 i went to bed the temp was pushing 95F i know I"m going to have a cooked shrimp and betta :'( at this rate i had the filter on full blast for while as much as Inari hates it, but it did drop the temp down a few degrees any ideas to reduce the water temp this is getting really old really fast i have a cup of ice floating the in the water i threw two or three pieces of crushed ice in and well needless to say Inari didn't like that idea I have it dark in my room so that it will be slightly cooler but that didn't help much either

any ideas

brent

kmarie

Reaction score
I have the same issues. I have a 5.5 gallon tank with my betta in it and the temps are creeping into the 90s, and I live in Wisconsin for crying out loud. I've been doing lots of water changes and keeping the light off as much as possible. I turn it on for just 5 minutes just to hang out with my betta but then I turn it off again. I also have a ceiling fan I leave on which seems to help a little. Do you have any fans, ceiling or otherwise? I also have a 30-gallon with a temp approaching 90. Should have some cooler air tomorrow so I'm hoping all wet pets can hang on til then. Let me know what you do and if it works.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Several people at other boards I frequent are freezing bottles of water and floating them in their tanks to help keep them a little cooler.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's a great idea Carol, I never thought of that. Somewhere on the boards someone also asked about cooling a tank. I'll repeat this advice to that person.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i've been taking a cup full of ice wedging it between the tank light and a tank wall and letting it melt and it has droped my temp from 92F down to the 80s this has taken 3 large cups full and Inari is loving the cooler water and hanging out by the cup thanx for everyone's advise any other ideas

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the same trouble a few weeks back when we had our heat wave. I turned a fan on to the tank and kept it dark whcih definitely helped..
good luck!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just froze some dechlored iced cubes and floated them. the fish play with them and cannot figure out what they are. They do not seem concerned about the cold at all.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
inari make sure the ice cubes have been dechlored before frozen so you don't introduce chlorine into the tank.
I also leave my lights out during the middle of the day and keep extra fans in the fish(living)room.
Isabella wasn't there a heated discussion about this a couple of months ago?(knocking head on wall)
Carol

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
the water that is used in the freezer was distilled so there is like nothing in it and if there was there wouldn't be enough to ammount to anything it was crushed ice and at first Inari was **** these are neat what are they and tried to bite one it was rather humorous when he discovered the weren't food he got mad at flared up at it rather entertaining to say the least lol

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Several people at other boards I frequent are freezing bottles of water and floating them in their tanks to help keep them a little cooler.
Carol
I did this and it works realy well.

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom