Cooling A 40g Axolotl Tank

1. BlissfulBetta Member Member

Hello! I am currently deciding whether or not to get Axolotls. I love them, but my house often reaches 72-74°F during the summer (we have AC, but we keep the house in this temperature range) and was wondering what setup would work best to cool a 40 gallon breeder Axolotl tank? I would also like the cooling setup to cool the tank to 10 degrees lower than the house and cost no more than $100.
    Thanks!:)

2. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

...the reason I don't have axolotls. :(

3. popsikle Initiate Member

Your tank water, if not in direct sunlight and not using old school lights that generate a lot of heat, should generally stay a few degrees cooler than your house because of evaporation. You can probably find a spot in your place that is cooler than your thermostat area and it should be ok. You may want to invest in a temp controlled fan or something just to be sure, 75 would kill your axolotl.

4. PLECO657 Member Member

Yea, look around for a aquarium chiller, or look for a cooler place in your house. Maybe get a fan to get good airflow. Axolotls are such a fun animal to have. If you have a 40 gallon tank you can have 4 in total which would be so much fun to watch all of them. Don't skip out on it, find a cool place or use a fan and enjoy them :)