coolie loach

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

anybody know if a coolie loach would be compatible in my tank???

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Kuhli Loaches of any species would not be suitable for your tank Here are a couple of reasons ;)
    1) Your tank is fully stocked already 2) Kuhlis are basically bottom dwellers and your bottom is covered. 3) they will stress your angels when they swim circles in the tank(yes they really do at feeding time) 4) depending on their size your angels may think their worms and try to eat them. I do have to say they are wonderful little fish though. Just some thoughts.
    Carol

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ok well just out of curiosity b/c i really like these fish can i mix sand with gravel

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You can mix sand and gravel but they won't stay mixed, the sand will sift down and the gravel will wind up on top and you really don't want that since the sand will compact. Kuhlis need something soft to dig in. Mine have been in a tank with play sand and are going into a tank with pool sand. Since they like friends and there are 23 of them( the more the better) they are going into a bigger tank.
    Carol

5. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

so ur saying u cant keep coolie loaches without sand and u cant like make haf ur tank sand and half gravel?

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes you can keep kuhli Loaches without sand BUT they won't be happy. Yes you can divide your tank half and half sand and gravel BUT it will mix.
    Carol

7. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

so kuhlis aren't compatble w/ angels?

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Emma I haven't tried the two together but my kuhlis are so active that I would be afraid to put them together and on the other hand i'm afraid my angels would love to eat my little kuhlis :D other than that angels prefer a warmer temperature than the kuhlis.
    Carol

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

angels EAT fish that"big"??? i thought they only eat like neon teras and little things. Wow-fiercer that i thought.

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Emma its just nature, in the wild fish eat fish. As for eating something that big, some of my newer kuhlis are really small, almost the size of fishing worms. I know my angels would think their food :D
    Carol