Cool water fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ming, Mar 25, 2010.

1. m

ming New Member Member

I upgraded to a 29 gallon recently :;banaman

Any recommendation for cool water fish that does well with Zebra Dianos and White Clouds in a tank with no heater?

The Zebra Dianos are ~1 inch and White Clouds ~3/4 inch.

I do have a spare stealth heater if needed and room temperature is 66F.

I also prefer fish that stay at the middle to bottom of the tank as both Zebra Dianos and White Clouds only swim in the top.

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

You might want to check on Aquabid, under the "Native Species" section. Thereought to be some nice cool water fish in that section.

3. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

I've heard you can keep black skirt tetras without a heater. Weather loaches are cold water and might stick more to the bottom.

Many kinds of shrimp (cherry, ghost, blue pearl) are adaptable to lower temperatures and add lots of character to the lower levels. I also have an unheated 10g with a crayfish which are cold water, but you probably don't want a crayfish in a community tank :).

4. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Weather loaches get too big (sorry), other than fancy goldfish (which would probably overstock your tank) other temperate fish are Cory's and Paradise Fish. Personally I haven't had any issues with my bronze cories in the cold water, there is a Cory variety that actually does better in cold water (can't remember the name ATM). There are a couple varieties of barbs (Rosy Red's I believe).

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Arulius Barb, Rosy Barb, Dwarf Barb, Ticto Barbs, Shiner, Red-Tailed Goodeid, Western Mosquitofish, Guppies, Pigmy Sunfish, Black Banded Sunfish, Blue Spot Sunfish & Empire Gudgeon are all fish that would be pretty happy at 66f & would probably do ok with your current stock. A couple of those fish may need to be aclimated to the cooler water so please do your research on any you may be interested in.

6. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

My bad on the weather loach. I was just thinking of cold water fish I've seen elsewhere, but I guess a 29g is a bit small :). I actually had a couple rosy reds in my cold water tank, but I guess I should modify my sig because the crayfish doesn't share a tank :).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice