Cool marine stocking

Tramsdell

Hello again!
After setting up multiple freshwater tanks around the house, with much information learned from this forum, I have decided I want to go saltwater for the main attraction.

My question is whether I REALLY need a heater. In the water. I know most fish stores just heat the air and thus the water is heated, so I'm wondering... if I keep my house at a constant 70*F are there fish, invert, and and coral species that I can keep in that temperature. Obviously the ocean has zones that are near that temperature, and there is life there. I just dont know what kind of things are availible in the hobby, since everyone seems to be building tropical reef tanks.

Thanks in advance,

Ghelfaire

I'm pretty sure that most if not all things that you can buy need a heater and temperature of 75-80f
What size is your tank going to be?

Upvote 0

Tramsdell

Two 75gallon tanks on a 100 gallon sump

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

99% of the marine animals you're going to see in a store or for sale online are going to be exclusively tropical, and will be best kept at at least 75 or so. I have had heaters fail without me knowing, and most animals make it - but that doesn't mean it's what's best for them.

Why not just buy a heater? I can almost guarantee 70 degrees is going to cause problems at worst, and won't be ideal for most animals at best.

Upvote 0

Tramsdell

Why not just buy a heater? Because , as you just said... a heater failure can kill the fish. K.i.s.s.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Why not just buy a heater? Because , as you just said... a heater failure can kill the fish. K.i.s.s.
So can being too cold.

I should have clarified - I've had heaters fail as in not turn ON, not OFF. Meaning the tanks got cold. I've only ever had one heater stick on and that's been years ago.

If you're worried about a heater failure, you can look into a temperature controller. It'll cut the power to the heater in case it fails. They run $20-$30 depending on the one you get. The Inkbird ones typically get really good reviews.

You're right that there are definitely parts of the ocean that get cooler than others, but most of the fish that are collected are from tropical areas. There are temperate water fish sometimes available, but they require a chiller for most of the year.

Upvote 0

wateriswet

I cheaped out on the heaters in my 75g and felt comfortable doing so because I got a separate inkbird temperature controller. I saw too many Amazon reviews of even name brand heaters that cooked expensive, beautiful fish so I think the separate controller is the way to go to both be safe and cut costs

Upvote 0

Tramsdell

Asked why, reason was simplicity. Yall wanna complicate everything... 3 overflows instead of relying on laws of physics for instance...

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Asked why, reason was simplicity. Yall wanna complicate everything... 3 overflows instead of relying on laws of physics for instance...
I mean simplicity is great, to a point. I agree that there's no reason to overcomplicate things. But certain equipment is required for certain animals for good reason. And short of going diving yourself and collecting some animals that would do well at room temperature, most of the animals you find are going to do best a bit warmer than 70.

You're worried about heaters failing - we gave you a simple, cheap solution to avoid that problem. Nothing complex about a temperature controller, I promise.

If you're gonna try it, stick to damsels and other extremely hardy fish and hope for the best. It may work out - I had a heater fail for a few days and didn't lose my mantis shrimp or my damsel. But the room was warmer than 70.

Upvote 0

Tramsdell

It seems like it's actually simpler to run heaters than to find fish that don't require them... thank you all for the assistance!

Basically all I could find is that I could have pipe fish and gobies and that would be pretty boring.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
N13
  • Question
Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
  • Question
Replies