Cookoo For Copepods!

1. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

Hello fellow betta friends!
    I am here to tell you a story about my betta, so buckle up and get ready to read about his adventures. I’ve had my betta dynamite in a breeder box so I could easily transfer him in and out of baths for some suspected fin rot but yesterday I noticed a little bug crawling on my mystery snail’s shell. At first I thought this little creepy crawly was a gnat but then it dawned on me that this isn’t possible under water, so I did a little research and found that my tank had a mild swarm of seed shrimp running about. I wasn’t sure how they got there as I haven’t added plants in months but I do remember dynamite always pecking at the substrate in a peculiar way, never thought much of it until now. I’m going to assume they have been there all along but in controlled numbers due to dynamite hunting them down so they never became noticeable. So while he was in the breeder box these little crustaceans had the time to breed into a more noticeable infestation and I started to see them crawling all around. I decided to let my boy free and he had an eating fest! He practically ate them all into extinction in one hour! Now he has a nice round belly (luckily I didn’t feed him today) and from now on I’ll leave him in there to keep the population in check. I know this may be a bit boring but I thought it was funny and decided to share ;)
    I added a close up image of one of these buggers so you can get an idea. Seed shrimps (Ostracoda) | LIFE IN FRESHWATER

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Thank you! I needed this! Awesomely cute! Poor little copepods. :)

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I also feed my bettas love foods, but they get baby isopods, such as woodlice. They love them, just like a moving shrimp! :)

4. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

a cute tiny little shrimp but not shrimp thing... i want it......

@Fanatic do they just float on the surface since they aren't aquatic? we have a roly poly explosion outside, but i'm always careful not to step on any cuz i love them lol. i'd be hesitant to feed them to my betta.

5. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

i came because your "title" is hillarious. cookoo for copepods hahahah great story as well

6. OP
    OP
    Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

I thought of it and just knew everyone on fishlore had to hear this. He has gotten quite a fat belly from eating them all, I think I’ll hold off on feedingfor a few days. 795be1b9636456d9a2351804fcfc815d.jpg 9abfa5e135aefbef6adcc0a92a1f73e2.jpg

7. Ravynn

Ravynn Valued Member Member

I somehow have a copepod population in my Betta tank as well. My boy goes around pecking the substrate and glass eating them throughout the day.