Coo-Coo for Cichlids!

1. Marinero Member Member

;D I'm really getting into the African Cichilds! I gotta get me some of that! Any suggestions out there for interesting mixes? The pet shop listed the names but had trouble finding those names on line to research. I like the variety of colors and looking for some that don't get over 6 or 7 inches. I'm probably going to get a 30 g tank maybe larger but not over 55 g. :D

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cichlidrecipe/

If you're going to get fish as big as 7 inches long when they reach adulthood, you're gonna need more than a 30 gallon tank. I'm still pretty green when it comes to africans, but that link will tell you which fish are compatible, and some information on each species you are interested in. I you can only afford a 30 gallon right now, or space is an issue, check out the shell dweller species for that 30 gal. tank. They are very cool. ;)

3. Marinero Member Member

Thanks! ;)

4. Marinero Member Member

I've I'm reading it write from that link, it's good to "control-crowd" your tank but "over-filter." Here was their 30 g suggestion:
    http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cichlidrecipe/crp22.htm

30 Gallon Aquariums

1 trio Labidochromis
    1 trio Cynotilapia or Haplochromis
    1 trio Copadichromis or Aulonocara
    6 small/medium schooling fish (Danios, Rasboras, Rainbowfish, ect...)
    1 or 2 Dwarf Plecostomus

If by trio they mean 3 of each, according to this, that would make 16 or 17 fish!!! But, from what I understand a 55 g would be easier to maintain anyway...just looking for more space in my apt :eek:
    http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cichlidrecipe/crp8.htm

5. dano569 Member Member

yellow labs,red zebras,blue zebras,kenyis are all good.i have what i think is an afra male you might not want one of those.also i have a melachromis male and female.make sure to do plenty of research on them before you get them. ;)

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Trios are usually 1 male and 2 females. Reverse trios are 2 females and 1 male.
    Carol

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Marinero, I suggest you just research as many african cichilds as you can and decide which ones you like best and would like to have. Then research those that you like best again to see if the different cichilds that you want to put in one tank are compatible together. Also see how many of each kind it's best to keep. Then, once you've decided which cichilds you want and how many, make sure that you'll get the right tank size for them. Don't get more and too large cichilds than your tank can hold. That's why it's important to choose your fish carefully. Also research on what kind of environment each kind of fish naturally lives in, so that you know what conditions to create in your tank that are best for your fish.

I don't know if you're familiar with the cycling process. If not, you can read up on it on FishLore or on many other aquatic websites. Make sure your tank is well cycled before you start adding fish. And add fish few at a time, not all at once - because adding a lot of fish at once may suddenly increase toxic levels and kill the fish (or make them sick, if not kill them).

It's nice that you've decided to get cichilds. Good luck with them!