Convincing Oscar owner to upgrade tank?

BettasnMore
I know this girl who has recently bought two juvenile Oscars and has them in a tank that is quite possibly a 10 gallon. I tried to tell her before she got them that a single Oscar needs 75 gallons. Is there any way I can convince her not to keep these fish like this?

Greg F
Show her a picture of a full grown oscar....

Blitzar
I would offer to take the oscars (keep them in as big a tank you can for as long as it takes to rehome them) and reimburse her, then offer to help her pick out some more suitable fish. If you breed, I know from personal experience that she might be more willing if you gave her fish.

Achilles
This. You could also try sending her a few articles/care sheets so she knows it's valid information.

BettasnMore
I have...I think she's under the impression that they only grow that big if they have tank space...God only knows if she has a filter in her tank right now.

Achilles
I have...I think she's under the impression that they only grow that big if they have tank space...God only knows if she has a filter in her tank right now.
One of the worst things is hearing someone say, "Well, they only grow according to the size of their tank." I'm not really sure how that myth started but it's sad to see. My sister had some friends who tried keeping 4 goldfish in a bowl with no filter because of this.

Tell her to look at humans who have grown up in extremely small places and to look at the damage done to their brains and bodies. Like humans, fish will never reach their full potential or life span if they don't have the correct environment.

BettasnMore
I would offer to take the oscars (keep them in as big a tank you can for as long as it takes to rehome them) and reimburse her, then offer to help her pick out some more suitable fish. If you breed, I know from personal experience that she might be more willing if you gave her fish.
I can offer, but I only have a 75 gallon tank with my 7in. Oscar in currently and he does not get along with other Oscars.

Gadfly
Aside from intentionally stunting their growth and causing them irreversible health problems, there is also a strong chance they will try to kill each other. Oscars don't always like other Oscars even in a large tank once they mature.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alex1993
Replies
Views
hampalong
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views