Funny Convince Me I Don't Need This...

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok the voice of reason!! Bettas seems to be the sickest fish on this forum. 90% of the threads are about sick bettas . Now taking somebody else’s betta... for me no. On the bright side it’s a betta just change 50% of the water in the tank daily (2.5g) and it will be fine. Cycling doesn’t really matter with a betta. For a good light for a 5g. Go on eBay look up aquaneet clip on led light $9. Get the one with the white red and blue leds. Good luck with your decision. Oh shrimp look great in a 5 gal .

RockinRy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok the voice of reason!! Bettas seems to be the sickest fish on this forum. 90% of the threads are about sick bettas . Now taking somebody else’s betta... for me no. On the bright side it’s a betta just change 50% of the water in the tank daily (2.5g) and it will be fine. Cycling doesn’t really matter with a betta. For a good light for a 5g. Go on eBay look up aquaneet clip on led light $9. Get the one with the white red and blue leds. Good luck with your decision. Oh shrimp look great in a 5 gal .
So I'm picturing an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. Not sure who is who yet, but one is whispering, "get the betta" and the other is whispering, "shrimp, shrimp, shrimp"

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used this light when my betta was in his 5g and it worked fairly well. I kept it suctioned to the outside of the lid though because I couldn't get the suction cups to stay put. I currently use this one for his 20g long, it's a little excessive for a 5g but I prefer the yellow light and my plants are loving it.
Almost the entire I used my 5g I had a lid that was literally just the top of a bin with his conditioner and food on to weigh it down. It looked real silly but it did the trick. I later switched to one I actually made that was a sheet of plastic canvas with a section cut out for the filter and heater cords- I even made a little hinged door for it.

As far as cycling goes I prefer sponge filters for bettas so I would personally pick that over the tetra. However if you wanted the sponge but also wanted to use seeded media you could in theory just run them both for the first little bit. Or you could just use tetra safe start, I've seen a lot of people swear by it.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No no we’ve gotten rid of that no good get the betta angel!! . Please read the 1000 my betta is sick threads from last week o_O.

Marinus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas are like the bulldogs of the fish world...always the ones to get sick with something. Normally I avoid those types like the plague but...I do like bettas.

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
To be fair the majority of sick betta posts are a result of poor water quality or constipation. Plus bettas are incredibly popular fish who are often sold in poor condition- lots of people have them so it's reasonable for there to be lots of posts.
Not that they aren't incredibly inbred and prone to problems- they 100% are and it's terrible and sad. Just the number of sick betta posts don't have anything to do with that.

Marinus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sadly no, he is not. The person didn't reply and so the pick up basically fell through. Annoying for sure but nothing much I can really do about it. So I've basically thrown in the towel on this betta.

I did end up setting the tank up for a different reason as it's housing a different fish for his quarantine period instead and then....who knows, maybe another betta will need saving or some shrimp will happen to fall into the 5 gallon after some aquascaping is done...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom