Funny Convince Me I Don't Need This...

Marinus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay you guys, convince me that I should not get this sad little betta from someone on craigslist. I've been watching this ad on craigslist for almost two weeks now. The person is moving and can't take their fish with them (*insert eyeroll here because the thing is in a fishbowl, how can you not manage to take that with you?* /EndMiniRant) This sad looking (but could be beautiful platinum teal/blue long finned betta) is sitting in an unheated, unfiltered fishbowl just floating at the top looking rather pathetic in the picture. The need to save him from this dreary existence pulls at me...

Convince me I should not get him.

I have a 5 gallon tank that he could be in and I have a spare filter, extra media that I keep hung in the established tank, an extra heater and everything...I could even steal some extra plants from my other tank and put those in there. I do love bettas and their personalities... But he would be basically running a fish in cycle...which is probably no worse than what he currently has happen every time the water is changed in his unfiltered prison...

The person even lives pretty close to me so it wouldn't be out of my way. Did I mention that I'm single and have no one to tell me this is a bad idea and that I don't need that 5 gallon that is sitting in storage up and running again?

Convince me...Oh, who am I kidding? I'm asking a bunch of fishy enablers many of whom probably have MTS (multiple tank syndrome for those who haven't caught it yet, we probably need a vaccine against it to be developed) to talk me out of this. All right tell me what you really think.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Get him. You have the proper equipment so why not. You also have extra media from the established tank, that would already make the 5 gallon tank cycled.

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay you guys, convince me that I should not get this sad little betta from someone on craigslist. I've been watching this ad on craigslist for almost two weeks now. The person is moving and can't take their fish with them (*insert eyeroll here because the thing is in a fishbowl, how can you not manage to take that with you?* /EndMiniRant) This sad looking (but could be beautiful platinum teal/blue long finned betta) is sitting in an unheated, unfiltered fishbowl just floating at the top looking rather pathetic in the picture. The need to save him from this dreary existence pulls at me...

I have a 5 gallon tank that he could be in and I have a spare filter, extra media that I keep hung in the established tank, an extra heater and everything...I could even steal some extra plants from my other tank and put those in there. I do love bettas and their personalities... But he would be basically running a fish in cycle...which is probably no worse than what he currently has happen every time the water is changed in his unfiltered prison...

The person even lives pretty close to me so it wouldn't be out of my way. Did I mention that I'm single and have no one to tell me this is a bad idea and that I don't need that 5 gallon that is sitting in storage up and running again?

Convince me...Oh, who am I kidding? I'm asking a bunch of fishy enablers many of whom probably have MTS (multiple tank syndrome for those who haven't caught it yet, we probably need a vaccine against it to be developed) to talk me out of this. All right tell me what you really think.
I wanna see a picture when you get him home....in an hour.....with a heater....

RockinRy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Don’t do it!!! Just kidding you need to go get him right now! See if they will throw the bowl in with the deal so the person doesn’t put a fish back in it ever ha.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could speed up the cycle with some media from other tanks if youre worried about hurting him, or you could do what I did- keep him in another container for a little while and put the water from daily changes into the 5g tank. That built up the ammonia real fast for me at least.

Definitely show pictures assuming you do get him though! He sounds beautiful <3 <3 <3

Marinus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha I actually got called in for an emergency surgery for work so operation save the Betta is currently on hold. That said I sent the guy an email soooo yah.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You didn't really expect us to talk you out of this did you Looking forward to seeing this little guy in his new tank soon.

Marinus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You didn't really expect us to talk you out of this did you Looking forward to seeing this little guy in his new tank soon.
Haha naw, I'm smarter than that. I figured you would all just encourage it. Hopefully he replies sometime today or tomorrow... we'll see. Had some issues with the email bouncing back so I hope it went through in the first place!

Marinus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update...sorta: Well I'm home from work and am taking a quick minute to shove some food in my face before I (probably) end up being called back in later. I've decided that the email went through (it's in my gmail sent folder) so now it's just a waiting game as to if the person will respond or not. Once I finish my tea, and assuming I'm not called back in, I'll be headed downstairs to get the 5 gallon pulled out and might set it up...just in case he replies back, right?

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Update...sorta: Well I'm home from work and am taking a quick minute to shove some food in my face before I (probably) end up being called back in later. I've decided that the email went through (it's in my gmail sent folder) so now it's just a waiting game as to if the person will respond or not. Once I finish my tea, and assuming I'm not called back in, I'll be headed downstairs to get the 5 gallon pulled out and might set it up...just in case he replies back, right?
Yes!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like a plan Best to be prepared. I don't think I would add the seeded media until you are sure you are going to get the little guy though. Well you could but you would have to keep it fed if you don't get him in there soon.

Marinus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well...I haven't heard back from the person so I have to assume one of the following scenarios has happened.
1) My emails never actually went through. (I do plan on sending one last email tomorrow if I haven't heard anything by the end of the day)
2) Person has sold the fish or otherwise doesn't have it anymore and is not replying to me.

Either way, right now we are basically in a holding pattern.

In other news, I ended up being called into work again and only got so far as getting the 5 gallon out and finding a couple of filter options. I opted to not set the aquarium up, yet.
Filter options!
I have a sponge filter but it is so old and the sponge is just this black gross coarse filter type thing, I'm not sure how effective it would be and considering I have some spare poret foam I'm considering using that instead. I also found my old tetra whisper PF10 filter which I would probably end up putting some media from the established tank into that filter and maybe adding some sponge to it as well.

On the downside...I can only find a screen lid for this tank, I'm not sure if I never had a glass top or what. I feel that I need a lid though seeing as I have a cat and I wouldn't put it past her to go fishing for a 'treat' given the option. I also don't feel like finding a betta on the floor if he decides to jump out of the tank. I think I'm going to need to find a glass top for this since I can't use a HOB filter with that screen lid. Preliminary searches have netted me a couple options but I think I need to measure the tank since I've heard some of these glass tops only fit with certain brands of aquariums.

Edit!: I also don't really have a nice light for this tank! Opinions on the best light for a 5 gallon betta tank?

So that's that. This may be nearing the end of this thread if craigslist person doesn't reply.

Marinus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update: You guys! The person responded just this morning, fish is still available! So now I don't have the tank set up...I think I'm going to see if I can grab the betta tonight or tomorrow and if tomorrow I have some time to set up the tank...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom