Convicts Tank Mates

Cajun56
So in looking for the best tank mates for my 2 convict cichlids. They are in a 30 gallon and I want to get a bottom feeding fish and some other fish. Any ideas? Thanks

Fishbro5
Cajun56 said:
So in looking for the best tank mates for my 2 convict cichlids. They are in a 30 gallon and I want to get a bottom feeding fish and some other fish. Any ideas? Thanks
Are your Convict Cichlids male and female? If not what gender are they both? That would probably be the determiner on whether you could get tank mates or not and you probably shouldn't get any tank mates anyways considering Convicts get pretty a pretty decent size. Based off my own experience of keeping a male and female together with other fish I really wouldn't do it again.

Cajun56
Honestly idk what there genders are.

Fishbro5
Males will be longer and generally have larger dorsal and analfins.
Unusually for fish, the females will have a brighter coloration, with yellow/red spots on their belly once they are sexually mature. She will also have more vivid black strips than her male counterpart. Do you notice any of these things on the convict cichlids? The male is also usually a good amount bigger.

yukondog
If you have a pair and they lay eggs, than most of whatever you have with them may become lunch.

Cajun56
One of them has really dark stripes and the other has really faint stripes darker more in the middle. The one with faint lines is bigger than the other one by about half an inch as of now I got them a week ago there were both in the same tank when I got them

Fishbro5
Yep, that sounds like a male and a female. The male is less colorful and big the female is more vibrant and small. Do you notice ANY orange on the belly of the smaller more colorful one?

Cajun56
I can't really tell honestly

Fishbro5
Cajun56 said:
I can't really tell honestly
Hmm, from what you've said I still am convinced they are male and female. Is there any way you could post a picture?

Cajun56
Looks like it a male and female

Cajun56
So even a pleco would be out of the question? And if so can I add anymore convicts cichlids or other type of cichlids

Fishbro5
Cajun56 said:
So even a pleco would be out of the question? And if so can I add anymore convicts cichlids or other type of cichlids
I really don't know. There are many variables and if you have a male and a female they are going to breed meaning you will have around 60-200 fish first spawn (in my experience). Any fish you have with them while breeding have a high chance of getting killed or getting stressed, diseased, then die. If you really want more fish, then probably find a new home for the Convicts or if you want let them breed but make sure you have a place for the babies. You could use them as food for another fish or just give them away. 2 convicts in a 30 gallon is already pushing the stock limit.

Cajun56
Ok so if I were to get rid of the convicts what kind of cichlids could I put in a 30 gallon that would be good with other fish?

Fishbro5
Apistogramma Cichlids work, Bolivian Rams, German Blue Rams, Jewel Cichlids, Kribensis, Shell Dwellers. Look up these fish because they have different care requirements. If none of these look appealing to you then it might be a good idea to do further research on other fish! You just need to make sure you don't mix certain fish with others.

Edit: I just saw the reply saying you would like cichlids that go with other fish. Rule out the Jewel and Shell dwellers then. Apistos might work with other fish, just do some research and you will quickly find out what goes with what. These fish that I mentioned are just some fish that can go well with other peaceful fish there are most likely others.

Cajun56
Ok thank you

Fishbro5

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom