Convicts Tank Mates For A 30 Gallon? Question

Discussion in 'Convict Cichlid' started by kaitlynnicole94, Apr 19, 2018.

1. k

kaitlynnicole94 New Member Member

I am getting a 30-gallon tank this weekend in the only thing I have to put in it is a two month old convict (after the tanks cycled)

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

A 30 gallon is going to be too small for a convict with running the risk of stunting and then death. Convicts will also kill anything you put in with them. I recommend getting rid of them when they are small, because no one will take them when they get older. They might seem peacful a few days and then they can turn overnight.

3. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

I would probably get a larger tank-at least a 55- for a convict. You would also be doing an SA only tank. If you have the room for a 55, South American tank are quite pretty though.

4. OP
    OP
    k

30 gallon is plenty of room for 1 convict.

5. Iridium_2256

I guess you could do a single convict in a 30 gallon, but it's always nice to have more room if you ever want to add more fish or once he gets to his maximum size. How large is he right now? Are you planning on getting any tank mates?

6. OP
    OP
    k

He's about 2 months old right now and currently in a tank with fish that he'll kill once he's big enough. All I have is an empty 30 gallon for him.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  7. Iridium_2256

I'm not saying don't put him in, i'm just saying think forward a little. Forward thinking is one of the most important parts of the hobby imo. If you don't plan on puting another big fish in the tank, go ahead and set it up:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice