Convicts Are Such Characters

schmalzy_x0
Member
My male convict Puffy redecorates the tank like this all the time. I cleaned the tank last night and messed up his last masterpiece so Puffy got right back to work on his next one lol! Makes me laugh everytime!! Haha! He is such a character! Who else's Convicts do this??

 
CMoZRo
Member
schmalzy_x0 said:
My male convict Puffy redecorates the tank like this all the time. I cleaned the tank last night and messed up his last masterpiece so Puffy got right back to work on his next one lol! Makes me laugh everytime!! Haha! He is such a character! Who else's Convicts do this??

I have a convict breeding tank and the breeding pair moves large pockets of gravel (about 3 inches deep and 6 inches in circumference) down to the glass inside their castle. Sometimes they remove so much that the castle will be sitting diagonally, and it's a large castle. They also used to rip all of the plants both real and fake out of the substrate. I'd come home from work and there would be plants floating all over the tank. The tank is now unplanted, lol. They are definitely one of the most interesting and fun breeds to watch. Their parental behaviors are amazing to observe as well.
 
  • Thread Starter
schmalzy_x0
Member
CMoZRo said:
I have a convict breeding tank and the breeding pair moves large pockets of gravel (about 3 inches deep and 6 inches in circumference) down to the glass inside their castle. Sometimes they remove so much that the castle will be sitting diagonally, and it's a large castle. They also used to rip all of the plants both real and fake out of the substrate. I'd come home from work and there would be plants floating all over the tank. The tank is now unplanted, lol. They are definitely one of the most interesting and fun breeds to watch. Their parental behaviors are amazing to observe as well.
That's awesome!! Yeah they are very cool! I tried to get Puffy a woman but he turned all black, you couldn't see his stripes at all anymore and went crazy like absolutely nuts Haha! So I had to split them. He went in my 125 gallon with the big boy cichlids. He is the smallest in the tank but he is the boss lol. Tough little fish I tell ya! He is such a character though, very entertaining!
 
CMoZRo
Member
schmalzy_x0 said:
That's awesome!! Yeah they are very cool! I tried to get Puffy a woman but he turned all black, you couldn't see his stripes at all anymore and went crazy like absolutely nuts Haha! So I had to split them. He went in my 125 gallon with the big boys cichlids. He is the smallest in the tank but he is the boss lol. Tough little fish I tell ya! He is such a character though, very entertaining!
Yea they are definitely tough. I recently had a very large oscar in my breeding tank temporarily while I setup a new tank for him and the convicts were still very much in charge. They would even steal the oscar's bloodworm cubes straight from his mouth. He usually holds them in his lips while they thaw and then swallows the whole cube when it's soft enough. The convicts would just swim right up and snatch it and take it into the castle.
 
  • Thread Starter
schmalzy_x0
Member
CMoZRo said:
Yea they are definitely tough. I recently had a very large oscar in my breeding tank temporarily while I setup a new tank for him and the convicts were still very much in charge. They would even steal the oscar's bloodworm cubes straight from his mouth. He usually holds them in his lips while they thaw and then swallows the whole cube when it's soft enough. The convicts would just swim right up and snatch it and take it into the castle.
That's awesome. Definitely sounds like my Convict lol. I have a Jack Dempsey, Oscar and Green Terror in my 125 gallon. And no one messes with my Convict.. he keeps everyone in line. My Jack tried to take over but that lasted for like a day lol. I am curious to see what happens when all the fish get bigger.
 
CMoZRo
Member
schmalzy_x0 said:
That's awesome. Definitely sounds like my Convict lol. I have a Jack Dempsey, Oscar and Green Terror in my 125 gallon. And no one messes with my Convict.. he keeps everyone in line. My Jack tried to take over but that lasted for like a day lol. I am curious to see what happens when all the fish get bigger.
Well we're about to be tank twins. My new tank will have the oscar, a dempsey, a terror and a few convicts. I have a 12" pleco that will go in as well. I've been keeping cichlids since I was a kid and I wouldn't trade them for anything. So much personality.
 
  • Thread Starter
schmalzy_x0
Member
CMoZRo said:
Well we're about to be tank twins. My new tank will have the oscar, a dempsey, a terror and a few convicts. I have a 12" pleco that will go in as well. I've been keeping cichlids since I was a kid and I wouldn't trade them for anything. So much personality.
Haha I have a 7 inch leopard sailfin pleco that is going to go in my 125 gallon as well.. he is in my 80 gallon currently. So yes we will definitely be tank twins haha! That's too funny. I agree, they are amazing fish! All my fish get along as well and they all have different personalities. My Oscar loves to eat, that is his goal in life. My Jack loves his caves. He has two that he thinks is only his. And my green terror is a sketch ball.. he is just all over the place lol. And when he eats he makes the biggest splash. They are all very entertaining!!
 
  • Thread Starter
schmalzy_x0
Member
I definitely wouldn't trade them for anything either!!
 
CMoZRo
Member
Sounds like an awesome tank! I'm excited to get my new dempsey and terror. Hopefully this weekend. Been going to my LFS since I got the new tank set up but they've all been too small to put in with the oscar, so I've been patiently waiting for some bigger ones to arrive.
 
  • Thread Starter
schmalzy_x0
Member
CMoZRo said:
Sounds like an awesome tank! I'm excited to get my new dempsey and terror. Hopefully this weekend. Been going to my LFS since I got the new tank set up but they've all been too small to put in with the oscar, so I've been patiently waiting for some bigger ones to arrive.
I know hey. That's the same with lfs around me as well. I really wanted to get a Texas but the ones in the store are soo tiny. My Oscar would eat it lol. It's hard finding fish the same size. And my fish keep getting bigger and bigger everyday lol. My Jack and my Green terror both are growing super fast (both males). But my Oscar when I first bought it was tiny and is almost catching up to them already.. I think they grow the fastest out of them all. So for you.. You would definitely have to find something bigger to keep up with your Oscar.
 
  • Thread Starter
schmalzy_x0
Member

20190320_145824.jpg
Well Puffy has been at it all day and he is down to the glass! Oh and my green terror photo bombing. I didn't realize he was there until I looked at the picture lol!!
 
Charlaboo
Member
CMoZRo said:
I have a convict breeding tank and the breeding pair moves large pockets of gravel (about 3 inches deep and 6 inches in circumference) down to the glass inside their castle. Sometimes they remove so much that the castle will be sitting diagonally, and it's a large castle. They also used to rip all of the plants both real and fake out of the substrate. I'd come home from work and there would be plants floating all over the tank. The tank is now unplanted, lol. They are definitely one of the most interesting and fun breeds to watch. Their parental behaviors are amazing to observe as well.
My convicts just had babies from r the first time so much fun watching them try to keep their fry all in one spot lol!
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom