Convict Tankmates - 55G

AquaMan3640

Howdy,
So as of right now in my 55 I have a 3 inch or so Convict with some leopard danios, platies, Harlequin Rasboras, and a bumblebee catfish that hides in one spot, haha. The convict is definitely the boss of the tank. As soon as I set up the plant growing tanks the plates, Rasboras, and danios will be moved out of the tank. That will leave me from then until August when the tank is going to my apartment. But I did not just want the Convict to be in there by itself. Kinda wanted it to still be lively but didn't really know if it would be worth it since it'll be taken down in 4ish months. Its only gonna be moved around an hour away so it won't be too bad for the fish and everything but just wanted others opinions. And if I went ahead once the corona virus stuff Is over, stock it, what could go well with a Convict and stand their ground? An Electric Blue Acara? I would like to have schooling fish in it also - I would love a big school of rummy nose tetras but don't know if the Convict would get along with it.

Sanderguy777

Rule of thumb, if it fits in someone's mouth, it's on it's way there now LOL

That is the sad truth about fish. So based on that, you could try a school of 6-10 aneaus cory catfish (probably the bigger the better). That may be a horrible idea, you'd have to look into the compatibility of the convict with corys, but I feel that they would school well and be an interesting fish.

You could also add more convicts for a species tank.
If you dont mind them becoming snacks possibly, sword tails would get big enough to hold their own, but they come pretty small to begin with....

AquaMan3640

Sanderguy777 said:
Rule of thumb, if it fits in someone's mouth, it's on it's way there now LOL

That is the sad truth about fish. So based on that, you could try a school of 6-10 aneaus cory catfish (probably the bigger the better). That may be a horrible idea, you'd have to look into the compatibility of the convict with corys, but I feel that they would school well and be an interesting fish.

You could also add more convicts for a species tank.
If you dont mind them becoming snacks possibly, sword tails would get big enough to hold their own, but they come pretty small to begin with....
I don't think cories would be good because it chases the one that is in there when it wanders in front of it. For other bottom dwellers/mid I have thought of maybe a redtail shark, another type of SA Cichlid like a firemouth/EBA, or if there is a geophagus that could fit in a 55, because they have peaked my interest with their behavior. If rummy nose won't work long term due to being eaten, could a big school of larger bodied tetra work like Buenos Aires or Colombians?

Sanderguy777

You'd have to look into habitats to see if they would work, but 2+" fish should work.

I think tapajos or another 5-6 inch geo would work probably.

AquaMan3640

Sanderguy777 said:
You'd have to look into habitats to see if they would work, but 2+" fish should work.

I think tapajos or another 5-6 inch geo would work probably.
Ok thanks for the feedback, ill do some research on tapajos and other smaller geos

AquaMan3640

OK I have been thinking. I am going to start this tank fresh. Going to either return/sell Convict, and same for the others. If anyone on here is interested feel free to talk but anyways. Then the plan would be this.

3x (1m2f) Tapajos Geophagus
1x Redtail shark or Peacock Eel (I've been eyeing one )
1x Dwarf Craw (I have a backup tank)
1x Black Devil Snail

Thats the plan so far - just need a school or two of fish to fill out the mid/top level. Question - I have had craws in the past but not dwarfs and they've ruined my plants, but I've heard dwarfs don't bother plants much?

Sanderguy777

I wouldn't do the crawdad. Everything I've heard about them says they will pinch find and those goes have nice flowing fins.

"Orange CPO Dwarf Mexican Crayfish - Aquatic Arts"

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just go with a geo species tank. You could put otos or a couple bristlenose plecos, but 3 6" fish and their fry will be challenging enough space wise.

If you aren't looking for a breeding tank (or for any fry to live) then maybe the red tailed shark would be a good option to predate the fry before they outgrow the tank.

If you want a few different fish in there, then do
1 geo
1 red tailed shark or peacock eel
5-8 otos
Maybe rams? They would actually be a good alternative to the geo because they have the same behavior when kept in a sand tank. You could have 4-8 Bolivian rams if you wanted

AquaMan3640

I think I am going to do one of two things once I empty the fish that are currently in the tank. Im either going to set up a natural native ecosystem type of tank with juvenile sunfish, mosquitofish, maybe a juvenile largemouth or perch from my neighborhood pond. Or im going to go the route of a Dwarf Cichlid Colony. Either with 6 or so Rams/Apisto species, the peacock eel, a school of rummy nose tetras, and maybe something else as well. Thoughts?

AquaMan3640

With the second route of a Dwarf Cichlid Colony - depending on which dwarf cichlid - could Angels be a viable tank mates along with the eel, and schooling fish? I used to have some and I'd love to have a few again.

Sanderguy777

I'm not sure, but I think one might work.
I wouldn't put more than 1 in with a school of rams or apistos though.

AquaMan3640

Sanderguy777 said:
I'm not sure, but I think one might work.
I wouldn't put more than 1 in with a school of rams or apistos though.
Ok that's what I was thinking. If I can't return the convict, would a species only tank work? Or what tank mates would suit it well? Would the bumblebee cat be fine in there with them?

Sanderguy777

AquaMan3640 said:
Ok that's what I was thinking. If I can't return the convict, would a species only tank work? Or what tank mates would suit it well? Would the bumblebee cat be fine in there with them?
If you cant return it, then I'd try to get rid of everything but the convict and a BN and do a species only.
If you dont want fry out of it, then get a good sized catfish to eat them. (I'm thinking Giraffe catfish-ish not that big, but 6" or so that is aggressive enough to go after fry)

AquaMan3640

How many Convicts could I add to the single one that would be left in there? I think it is a juvenile male based off of fin length but I can't figure out how to upload the pictures onto here from my computer, and the app on my phone isn't working.

Sanderguy777

AquaMan3640 said:
How many Convicts could I add to the single one that would be left in there? I think it is a juvenile male based off of fin length but I can't figure out how to upload the pictures onto here from my computer, and the app on my phone isn't working.
On my phone (not the app) it has an "attach files" button right by the post button, but maybe its different on other devices?

I wouldn't have any idea about sexing it though unfortunately.

I would look at YouTube to see how many you can fit. I'd think 3 more females if you are gonna breed them, but I've only bread guppies on purpose, so that's where that ratio is from lol

FinalFins

female convicts are smaller, and have orange on their bellies, males are bigger and don't have orange and often develop nuchal humps (small ones) as they get old

AquaMan3640

Sanderguy777
Yeah, the app on my phone won't even load so I don't know what the problem is lol. It used to work but ever since I started getting on here with my computer more it seemed to stop. Kinda odd but at least I can still get on here. If I go the Convict route, I think I'd just get 3-5 and see who pairs off with who. I don't mind them breeding, as the only thing I've had breed in a tank successfully is RCS and Platies lol!

FinalFins
You're description is kind of making me rethink myself. It has longer dorsal and analfins, but its belly has yellowish coloration under its mouth and then a little purple under the operculum, aka gill plate. Sorry to use technical terms Im trying to study for my Biology exam while still being on here ahahahah

Sanderguy777

AquaMan3640 said:
Sanderguy777
Yeah, the app on my phone won't even load so I don't know what the problem is lol. It used to work but ever since I started getting on here with my computer more it seemed to stop. Kinda odd but at least I can still get on here. If I go the Convict route, I think I'd just get 3-5 and see who pairs off with who. I don't mind them breeding, as the only thing I've had breed in a tank successfully is RCS and Platies lol!

FinalFins
You're description is kind of making me rethink myself. It has longer dorsal and analfins, but its belly has yellowish coloration under its mouth and then a little purple under the operculum, aka gill plate. Sorry to use technical terms Im trying to study for my Biology exam while still being on here ahahahah
That number sounds good to me, but that is just based off of African cichlid tanks that are probably way over crowded.

That gill plate word tho LOL

FinalFins

AquaMan3640 said:
Sanderguy777

FinalFins
I'm not very sure on fin length and the connection between gender, I was taught by others that the belly of females were orange .

AquaMan3640

After thinking for a few days, I am going to return the Convict. A species-only tank would be cool but I think I am going to go the Native fish route. I have always really wanted to keep some but not sure what I could keep in the 55. I know I can put juvenile stuff in there, thinking probably a group a sunfish, crappie, craws, and I'd love to have a largemouth bass in there or another odd-ball predatory native fish like a bowfin or chain pickerel. All fish put in would probably be juveniles... Anyone have any idea what and how many I could stock my 55 with? All fish would need to be native to SC preferably

FinalFins

The problem is that most main native fish get too large for a 55.

There are smaller things tho, like minnows, darters, etc

Check your local wildlife collecting laws.

Sanderguy777

Even a very small bass of any kind would probably outgrow that tank in a year or two.

Minnows might work, but I have no idea about native fish unless you live near lake Malawi lol

Sounds cool though, good luck

AquaMan3640

FinalFins said:
The problem is that most main native fish get too large for a 55.

There are smaller things tho, like minnows, darters, etc

Check your local wildlife collecting laws.
Thanks, ill do some research

Edit:
Legal to collect unless they're endangered species so

AquaMan3640

After doing a little research and looking at jonahsaquarium compatibility and suggestions I think I am going to do this. All fish would be juvenile at time of acquisition
2-3x Bluegill specie
2x Yellow perch
4x Dwarf craw
Only thing that could go wrong is the perch eating the craws.

FinalFins

AquaMan3640 said:
After doing a little research and looking at jonahsaquarium compatibility and suggestions I think I am going to do this. All fish would be juvenile at time of acquisition
2-3x Bluegill specie
2x Yellow perch
4x Dwarf craw
Only thing that could go wrong is the perch eating the craws.
Don't want to burst your bubble but the reccomended tank size I have seen go around for a group of bluegill is 75g, and I have no clue for the perch but they can close get 20 inches full grown

maybe look for darters and daces.

AquaMan3640

FinalFins said:
Don't want to burst your bubble but the reccomended tank size I have seen go around for a group of bluegill is 75g, and I have no clue for the perch but they can close get 20 inches full grown

maybe look for darters and daces.
The longest yellow perch recorded was 19.7 inches. Perch can definitely get big but being a fish that lives up to 12 years and would take the full 12 to get close to that length, as they are slow growers. I think that for a while they would be fine in a 55 depending on their size when I get them. But the perch are going to be the more harder of the two to acquire here since they are harder to catch, so im not even sure if I will have some. The bluegills Im less worried about, I've heard its best to add them as very young juveniles is a sure-fire way for them to do well in a home aquarium. And having sight breaks in the tank, like plants, driftwood etc is important for them and their territories. I am going to add more caves, plants and driftwood when I get home to do this. As long as I bring home the right species, they shouldn't grow to more than 8-9 inches

FinalFins

Please don't take this as rude but please reconsider the choices for fish, there are plenty other suitible sunfish out there for a 55 but bluegill are just too big for a 55, especially a group mixed in with yellow perch. What will you do with a juvenile perch once it is too large or is incompatible? You can't release it as it could release pathogens to the wild.

AquaMan3640

Spotted Sunfish, Orangespotted Sunfish, Longear Sunfish, Redears, pumpkinseeds, should all work long term in a group of 2 or 3 in a 55 as the biggest those species should get is 9 inches, with some species not even getting bigger than 6-7 inches. Im not banking on the yellow perch being caught to easily, so for right now im just shooting for 2 or 3 Sunfish species and the 4 dwarf craws. If I could get my hands on one, I would love to just have a Grass Pickerel in there alone as they max out around 10-11 inches.

FinalFins

I see western dollar sunfish and orangespotted working in a 55, not sure on the rest as my expertise isn't game fish

AquaMan3640

FinalFins said:
I see western dollar sunfish and orangespotted working in a 55, not sure on the rest as my expertise isn't game fish
Wow, just looked up the Western Dollar Sunfish facts and man they are stunning. North American fish seem under appreciated in the aquarium hobby haha. At least here in the States. I agree that those would work better in a 55 as they reach 6 inches, like some of the species previously stated. Pumpkinseeds and Longears usually reach the 8-9 mark so going with a smaller species would be better. Not to mention Im planning on adding small school of dither fish, like a shiner species, or mosquitofish just to spread out the aggression. The Mosquitofish plus would be their fry would be a good snack for the sunfish, but the parents would probably be eaten eventually.

AquaMan3640

Do you think tadpoles would be a snack for the sunfish at a juvenile age?

Latest threads

Top Bottom