Convict tank mates

KateLorraine

Hey,

I currently have a 40 gallon tank with a bristle nose Pleco, three platies, and some corydoras. I know someone giving out convicts and wanted to know if I could put them with my current stock and if the tank would be big enough? Any addition information about convicts is much appreciated!

Wrench

How many would you be taking is the question?
I do not have chiclids but from what I have read here and learned from others is they like to be in groups and the larger the better.

KateLorraine

Wrench said:
How many would you be taking is the question?
I do not have chiclids but from what I have read here and learned from others is they like to be in groups and the larger the better.
I don't have a specific amount in mind, but she does have plenty of them. I'll take in as many or as less as need be, just want to make sure everything is good to go beforehand.

Mike1995

As long as they won't pick on other fish. I'd imagine they might give the platies a hard time. convicts tend to be mean as it gets with cichlids.

KateLorraine

Mike1995 said:
As long as they won't pick on other fish. I'd imagine they might give the platies a hard time. convicts tend to be mean as it gets with cichlids.
I've decided I'm going to just move my three platies into another Guppy tank I have and try to see how it works out.

Mike1995

KateLorraine said:
I've decided I'm going to just move my three platies into another Guppy tank I have and try to see how it works out.
If you do get the convicts and they pair up at any point to breed I'd keep them alone with no other fish. They will go after anything that moves. I even had one go after my midas cichlid when I still had him.

Redshark1

Convicts do have the reputation of being the most aggressive fish (when breeding at least). Only their relatively small size stops them being the most feared.

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom