Convict Tank Mates

MackTP
I was wondering what could I house with Convict Cichlids without them being eaten?

Crispii
Imo, they do best in pairs. They are one of the more aggressive species of cichlids, especially if they're a breeding pair.

MackTP
Crispii said:
Imo, they do best in pairs. They are one of the more aggressive species of cichlids, especially if they're a breeding pair.
Okay, I have 5 convicts. 3 black convicts 2 females and 1 male and a pair of pink convicts

CheshireKat
My convicts could only live together. I wouldn't trust any fish with them. I took home 5 very young ones after someone used them for a science project and didn't want to keep them. Didn't know what they were and added them to my tank. Over time, my danios disappeared. They were old, so I didn't think much of it and figured their bodies were eaten after they died naturally. I had a catfish die. I finally had proof they've been eating fish when I saw one slurping down my Chinese Algae Eater, a supposed aggressive fish.

I had kept mine in a 20 long with caves and lots of fake plants to block eyesight and provide territories and it worked for me. Might've helped that they grew up together, I don't know. I just wouldn't put any other community-type fish in with them, small or large, cuz they're not too picky about their meal sizes, it seems.

MackTP
Makes sense, I as well have 5 convicts in a 20 gallon long. I tried a Oscar and he was eaten. I also tried 2 red tail sharks and they were eaten. I will keep the convicts alone. I need more decorations.

Jrad
They should be fine if the tank is big enough.... Until they start breeding, and they will. The real issue is what to do with all the babies. I had a breeding pair by themselves for a while. The local fish store took the first batch. but they don't want anymore. I re-homed the female (the male was getting too aggressive with her and I didn't want any more fry) I fed a bunch of fry from the last batch to my green terror. There's still about 30 in with the father. Surprisingly there are still about 8 baby convicts in the Green Terror tank. They've made it about a week so far. It will be interesting to see how long they make it. The first group I fed to the Green Terror were pretty tiny and did't last very long. This last group were about 1/2 an inch long. I put in almost 30 and could only count 8 today. There could be more but only 8 came out when I fed the Terror his pellets.

Anyway, Breeding convicts are very aggressive, so I would keep it a species only tank. Bigger is better and provide plenty of hiding places and block the line of sight with plants etc. They are territorial, so give them enough territories. Convicts are awesome though. Enjoy!

Jrad
MackTP said:
Makes sense, I as well have 5 convicts in a 20 gallon long. I tried a Oscar and he was eaten. I also tried 2 red tail sharks and they were eaten. I will keep the convicts alone. I need more decorations.
A 20 long is kind of small for 5 convicts. It may be fine now, but as they grow it won't be. I would get another 20 long and keep the pair of pinks in one and when the black convicts pair up re-home the "extra" convict. It could be killed when breeding starts. you can probably get another 20 for $20. Just a suggestion. This is how MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) starts.

MackTP
Yeah I noticed yesterday that a pair of my convicts bred. The meal is getting aggressive towards the other 3 convicts. This is my first time dealing with fry. I plan to add plenty more hides and plants

MackTP
Jrad said:
A 20 long is kind of small for 5 convicts. It may be fine now, but as they grow it won't be. I would get another 20 long and keep the pair of pinks in one and when the black convicts pair up re-home the "extra" convict. It could be killed when breeding starts. you can probably get another 20 for $20. Just a suggestion. This is how MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) starts.
I wanted to upgrade the tank I was thinking about a 40g. Any recommendations on just one bigger tank?

CheshireKat
Funny thing is, none of my convicts ever bred. I never had any fry. Maybe they were eaten or sucked into the filter. I don't remember if I ever figured out the sexes for sure, but that'd be pretty coincidental if I happened to have 5 of the same sex. I never had any problems with all of them in my 20 long, either. They had territorial disputes and dominant or aggression displays/dances, but they never did anything to each other. It was a little cramped in my opinion (I would've liked more room for them to explore and not just stick to their areas).

They were a pain because I couldn't have other fish, but I do miss them... They were like puppies, wagging their tails when they saw me...

MackTP
Yeah mines chase each other from time to time but that’s about it. They’ve been sticking together for the most part. Any other fish added is when the problems occur because they eat them, I agree that’s a pain. So I just been sticking with the 5. I didn’t expect them to mate or thought it would take longer but it’s nice to see the parents swimming beside a bunch of fry.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom