Convict sitting on the bottom?

babyfish

Hi, I have one convict in a 10g divided tank, I know that this is not a proper living space for them, and I have a 55g. I will be cycling my 55g after I pick up the stand in a week or two.........A couple days ago I saw her sitting on the bottom (It seems like she is doing it more often). But it's hard to catch her doing it, because when I go to look at her, she swims up to say hi. Until my tank is cycled, how do I get her to feel better? I don't know what to do here, and I am trying to get her into my 55g as soon as possible.

- thanks

fallfever

As long as she is swimming and eating she will be fine. The problem is she has nowhere to swim I'd imagine. The 55 should take care of that.

babyfish

fallfever said:
As long as she is swimming and eating she will be fine. The problem is she has nowhere to swim I'd imagine. The 55 should take care of that.
Ok thank you, she does always swim around when people are near, and eats fine.

PitConvict

babyfish said:
Hi, I have one convict in a 10g divided tank, I know that this is not a proper living space for them, and I have a 55g. I will be cycling my 55g after I pick up the stand in a week or two.........A couple days ago I saw her sitting on the bottom (It seems like she is doing it more often). But it's hard to catch her doing it, because when I go to look at her, she swims up to say hi. Until my tank is cycled, how do I get her to feel better? I don't know what to do here, and I am trying to get her into my 55g as soon as possible.

- thanks
Sounds to me like fish 'depression'. From my experience, fish need stimulus much like a dog does etc. How would anybody feel confined by such a small space? / I have had convicts for years; they are the hardiest cichlid I have ever had. I cycled a 40 gall breeder for 5 days (from zero) and threw in a male pinky and he has been thriving ever since, no issues at all.

babyfish

PitConvict said:
Sounds to me like fish 'depression'. From my experience, fish need stimulus much like a dog does etc. How would anybody feel confined by such a small space? / I have had convicts for years; they are the hardiest cichlid I have ever had. I cycled a 40 gall breeder for 5 days (from zero) and threw in a male pinky and he has been thriving ever since, no issues at all.
Thank you very much for the reply. I have been keeping her in the five for a while, so I am really exited to move her to a bigger tank.
She is quite big, and has grown a lot since we first got her. My concern, is if she could die from 'fish depression'? I could just throw her in... That way she would get in sooner...?

Also another side note: My 55g broke down yesterday with a huge crack So now I have to get to work on fixing that. But I am trying to make her happy, I do love her very much! She also seems to be getting worse And I guess I just have to wait till my bigger tank is ready.

babyfish

I'm hoping someone will see this, as I don't want to start a new tread!

I haven't been able to get a new 55 gallon sadly. So I got her into my 20 gallon long, and she is not doing well at all.She sits on the bottom all day. She is like a snake sorta.... She drags herself across the bottom when she swims (she rarely swims at all), and when she tries to swim up her tail seems to wait her down. She will only eat one pellet a day no matter how many I give her.

Is she dying? I really don't know what to do, please help!

JustAFishServant

babyfish said:
I'm hoping someone will see this, as I don't want to start a new tread!

I haven't been able to get a new 55 gallon sadly. So I got her into my 20 gallon long, and she is not doing well at all.She sits on the bottom all day. She is like a snake sorta.... She drags herself across the bottom when she swims (she rarely swims at all), and when she tries to swim up her tail seems to wait her down. She will only eat one pellet a day no matter how many I give her.

Is she dying? I really don't know what to do, please help!
Sounds like a swim bladder problem to me. Poor water quality can cause stress and infection within the swim bladder causing what is called either negative or positive buoyancy disorder which is exactly what it sounds like (negative = weighing down, positive = floating up). The best thing you could do is perform daily 50% WC's until you can get the 55 situation figured out. Play with her every day and keep a close eye just in case she is depressed. If you notice any change in color, personality, or body shape be sure to update us as soon as possible.

Hope this helps, good luck! ;)

babyfish

JustAFishServant said:
Sounds like a swim bladder problem to me. Poor water quality can cause stress and infection within the swim bladder causing what is called either negative or positive buoyancy disorder which is exactly what it sounds like (negative = weighing down, positive = floating up). The best thing you could do is perform daily 50% WC's until you can get the 55 situation figured out. Play with her every day and keep a close eye just in case she is depressed. If you notice any change in color, personality, or body shape be sure to update us as soon as possible.

Hope this helps, good luck! ;)
Thank you so much for the reply!

I will be doing those water changes! And I have noticed changes in color, She seems like she is sort of grayish. And definitely in her personality she only swims when I feed her... and It looks nothing like swimming! When she sits on the bottom she appears completely frozen, with her fins out on the gravel not moving them at all, her breathing is okay... I am just worried!! This has been going on for about a month, and I don't see any improvement. But thanks for the advice, I hope she gets better! I will try to update when I can :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom