Convict mating??? Question

1. terrynachos Member Member

Ok here it goes. I have two convicts who have recently become very agressive and teritorial towards a cave. They keep any other fish out of it. As i went and looked in it the two fish are kissing haha i know it sounds nuts but they really looked like they were making out in there cave?? I thought these two may have been both female? Also will males have orange on there belly on the side? It seems they all have a hint of the orange that i thought only females had?? Help please??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hmm yea it sounds like they are getting ready to breed and have taken over the cave. Do u have pictures of these two to share, so we can make sure they are both females?

If they are both females they might just be fighting over the spot to lay eggs in. Female convicts will lay eggs even if there isn't a male around and will become territorial.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. terrynachos Member Member

They dont look to be fighting eachother but they look like a pair and team up against all the others. Geezus. Watching now there seems to be an all out war going on i will try and get on my main computer to send picks. I dont know how on mobile

Ill get a better one tonight but these two have decided to go to war with all the others and keep digging around the rocks under heater and earlier they were in the cave. But very agressive!!!

Heres another

Its a 75 gallon tank with 8 fish in total. So they have alot of space and i keep the temp at 80. This is my fist tank ever hahaha im 3 weeks in with weekly 10% water changes and all seems to be going very well.

Attached Files:

4. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yea they will get very aggressive lol and if your tank is overly stocked they might kill some of your fish, so you might have to separate them. The top one is a female for sure. The bottom one looks like a male but yea you are right it has a small amount of red. How big are they?

5. terrynachos Member Member

Thats them in the back

Attached Files:

6. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hmm.. can you get a better side view of both of them? I'm sorry I'm being picky I just want to rule out one of them being a male.

7. terrynachos Member Member

Yes ixwill thanks so much for your help. I got 4 in there and three im not sure of male or female.

I will get a better one but this may help

Sneaky buggers

Attached Files:

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

You are taking great pictures. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm having a hard tome seeing colors haha. Are these only a couple inches or bigger?

9. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

is there any orange coloring on one? if it is than it is a female. males are much bigger than females from my experience and they will kill other fish if they go near the nest so be careful.

10. terrynachos Member Member

Yes couple inches at max. Iwent down and wow!! The colours are intense on the two agressors and they are taking over all sorts of different places and very agressive. Heres a new pic.

These two are together and agressive.

I will post a few more here. Im so confused. I hope ones a male and female.

I hope these two are going to mate. They are extremely aggressive

Wish i could post a video.

Attached Files:

11. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Those are both females haha. I'm sorry they aren't a pair like you wanted but I think the little girls are confused lol. Once they both lay eggs they will realize it isn't right. Poor things :p

12. terrynachos Member Member

. Ok. I will take a pic of the one i think is a male also. But hes not involved at all with this

Is this convict a male?? Stupid pet store haha they told me it was. I was unsure of the other two. And i have no idea about the firemouths sex. But either way if this guy is a male ill be in luck but im doubting it.

Attached Files:

13. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yea that happens with pet stores haha. That is a female also... Sorry for all the bad news :p

Instead of just telling you and not letting you learn whatsoever, maybe I should teach you so you know for the future haha females have the yellow color going through their fins and have a red to orange spot on their bellies. The males however don't have these colors just the black and blue. :p

14. terrynachos Member Member

Ok :( well thank you so much for all the advice you have been grrat help. I got 4 females then haha i will go to the pet store and look for a male tomorrow! Again thank you so much and i hope to keep in touch with you guys. This has been an exciting day!

Also one quick question. I have 4 convicts 3 of them no more then a couple inches and one lil one. I have 3 firemouths one 2.5- 3 inches and two smaller ones. And one smaller salvini. They are in a 75 gallon tank with alot of room my question is that enough room for them? In your opinion?

15. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

In my opinion they are just fine right now but as they grow you will have an aggression problem because of the room they will have will be cramped. If you do want a male and want them to breed you might want to consider taking back 3 of the females and getting one male. Convicts pair up and breed with only their pair, so a 3 female to 1 male ratio is not needed. That way you will have a lot of room for all of the others to get away from the convicts when they breed.

And of course, that's what I'm here for. I'm glad I was able to help you so much! :) if you ever have any other questions ask and I'll try my best to answer it.

16. terrynachos Member Member

Thank you so much!!! :)

17. terrynachos Member Member

Teying to send a private message here and it wont work. Says i have no permission to do it??

18. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I think it's because you don't have 50 posts yet. Once you have 50 posts you are able to pm people and use the buy sell trade forum. I know it can be a pain but it's for a good reason, so that people don't just sign up to sell things.

19. terrynachos Member Member

Ahh i hear ya. Well today has been a nightmare day for me it was weekly water change and i am only 3 weeks or so in on my new tank lol. So i get it in my head after the fish store has no males in stock that the other fish need more hiding places so i bought a box of lava rock and removed some of my tacky decor and will go for a more natural look. Well after rinsing the new rock in dechlorinated water and duting my water change i removed some decor and added the new rocks. While removing the old stuff clouds of gunk came out from it and now my water is cloudy lol.

So after my water change and decor change all is good but the cloudy waterish is there. I then worried and checked the filter and it looked black but i think its from the carbon lol. Anyway i added some of that special blend stuff after it was all said and done and geez i gotta stop worrying

When i get home i will post some new pics on here. Also lol the pet store argued with me that "oh you could have a male still " and " two females wont do that" followed by my reply " are you drunk or something? The internet told me so" hahaha

20. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Haha yea pet stores claim they know everything, and sometimes they do, other times they do not lol. Yea don't ever be to hard on your self, we are in this hobby to enjoy it, not let it control us.

You will have wayyy to many cichlids in there when they grow if you listen to that guy, and have a serious aggression issue.

And also don't worry about your cloudy water, it will clear up in no time.