Convict Help Needed.

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Fishler, Apr 19, 2018.

1. FishlerNew MemberMember

I have a pair of convicts. They spawned and had their first fry together. At first the male was protecting the fry(wiggles at the time) just as much as the female. Now fast forward a couple days and one morning during my feeding I notice the male missing large chunks of fins and beat up. This is my first experience with convicts and I’m wondering if this is normal for the female to become much more aggressive or is something else going on? Currently they are separated by a divider in the tank while the male recovers. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening and how to prevent it?

Tank specs are as follows: 40 Gallon breeder, heavily filtered, tons of hiding spots and breeding locations. They are the only 2 in the tank and also around 100-150 fry. I can’t count them

2. Ernest SaccoWell Known MemberMember

I'd say it's normal....also I'd say be prepared to lose the fry if you aren't planning on raising them yourselves....I've always had my new convict pairs end up failing the first time around

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice