Convict Female Colours - Did I get the sex wrong?

Convictlover

Hi all, I thought I had a male convict but recent growth and colour development has me wondering if I have a female instead? (See photo attached).

The reason being is mine has bright blue on the top fin and I was told by a few people that males don’t get this. I was sure mine was male because there is no yellow on it and the top fin is growing really long like the males get. apparently the yellow only develops when they are ready to spawn? Because mine is in a tank alone with no other fish is it unlikely that it will ever develop yellow spawning colours if it is female??

8033C0EA-0C82-4029-9D6D-8617234E715F.jpeg

Azedenkae

I've had both males and females with brilliant fin colorations. The only thing that truly differentiated them is whether there is a orange belly (female) or not (male) ime.

Convictlover

I've had both males and females with brilliant fin colorations. The only thing that truly differentiated them is whether there is a orange belly (female) or not (male) ime.
If it is female and kept alone will it ever develop the yellow colours as there is not male around?

CheerGirl

Females do get a bright orange\yellow belly when sexually active and ready to breed... if unsure look at the analfin, males are usually larger

Azedenkae

If it is female and kept alone will it ever develop the yellow colours as there is not male around?
In my experience, yes, they will develop the yellow/orange belly even if no potential mate is around. My most recent convict I raised from a wee fry, and at about 3cm it already had orange on its belly. XD

CheerGirl

a high protein diet helps.... Blood worms or cyclops shrimp.... not like those critters live in the amazon basin.... but it is better than flakes

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views