Convict Cichlids With Cories? - Page 2

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
I'm don't know much about fancy goldfish. I believe a minimum tank size for them is 40 gallons but I have no first hand experience with them.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Oh, I heard that they are fine in a 29g. I guess I'll wait for more responses and do some research.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
I would avoid one bigger fish for the reason I just gave above for a convict.

You could do a pair of most any dwarf cichlid you want - one of the Apisto or ram species, keyholes, kribs, etc. If you do one of the peaceful species like Keyholes or Apistos, you can keep a school of cories as well.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Could I have 2 keyholes/rams/apistos and 6 cories? Am I overstocked?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
I would do either the keyholes or apistos with cories. Keyholes are super peaceful for cichlids and I think they'd be fine with cories. The apistos are smaller and would likely leave some room for the cories. I wouldn't do the bigger rams or more aggressive kribs with cories though.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
So could I add a school of fish? If so, what would you recommend? Hopefully something that would look good in a cichlid tank.

Or if I added plants could I do an amazon biotope? For instance, 1 Angelfish, 1 GBR, 6 Cories, 8 Cardinal Tetra.

This is what the tank looks like when it is planted. I will be adding more plant soon.
full?d=1485614949.jpg

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Most any temp compatible schooling fish would do.

Yes, you could do that, but I personally would not keep an angel in a 29 gal. I've had a few in my 55 gal and they used every inch of that 48" long tank. While 29 gal is the minimum recommended, I wouldn't personally ever do it. But if you wanted to do that stocking, you could.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Adding to TD's advice, I'd also up the group of cories to 8-10. Get sterbai. A honey gourami, thick-lipped gourami, or banded gourami would work in place of the dwarf.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Ah, OK. Yeah those are fine, just up their group to 8-10 then.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
So like: 12 cardinals, 8 cories, 1 GBR, 1 DG.

Could I add 3 guppies to this stock?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
I would not. I think that's just too much.

EDIT: Wait, is this your 20 gal long or 29 gal?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
I agree, for some reason I thought we were talking about a 20 gal long.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Should be fine then! For some reason I was thinking 20 gal.

You could do more cardinals and a second GBR if you wanted as well?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Add clown pleco, not BN pleco.

Not overstocked, I think that would be fine.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Ok, I don't know where I could find a clown pleco. But my LFS has baby BNs all the time.

What if I got a Bolivian ram?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
You could ask them to order one? They're not uncommon.

BNs are not temperature compatible with GBRs so they won't work.

Instead of a GBR? That would be fine, and then you could add a BN.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Looks like I am going to downsize and trade my 29 for a 20L. I was thinking: 6 cories, 3 platies, platy fry. I would sell to my LFS and I have a 10 gallon in case of a surplus in the population. Or could I have a school of neon tetra with a dwarf gourami and cories?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Either would be fine! Why are you downsizing?

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
So that I can get a larger tank eventually, and also because I like shorter tanks because they are easier to aquascape. What other fish could I easily breed? (preferably for a profit.)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
I doubt you'll be able to make a profit breeding fish, it's very hard to do. However, you can breed some fish to sell on the side, but don't expect to make a lot or even cover the costs of your setup.

I would stay away from livebearers unless you get some of the fancy strains. You could breed a dwarf cichlid?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
If you're confident in your abilities you could attempt breeding German blue rams. Check out Germanbluerams

Another thing you could try is growing plants and selling them. Fish stores are always looking for java moss

But it's best to check with the lfs first before you get to serious on what they'll be interested in

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Anything else besides rams? I want to know my options. I am going to ask if my LFS will buy from me if I have good stock.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Most of your dwarf cichlids can be easy to breed. They won't require a large tank either. Just see what your LFS is most interested in.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
The 20 gallon I was receiving cracked so I will be keeping my 29g. Updated stocking plan is: 1x DG, 10x Cherry Barbs, 6x Aeneus Corydoras, 3x Guppies, and either 6 Otocinclus or 1x BN. Tank temp: 77° F. Substrate: Play sand. (It will be heavily planted.) Is this a good stocking or could I add more? TexasDomer, Anders247, BottomDweller, tyguy7760 Thanks in advance!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
I would lower the temp to 75.
I wouldn't add anything else to that stock.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
I think you could add more cories and either more cherry barbs or another school of small fish. I agree with lowering the temp.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Ok, I will lower the temp and I think I will add another barb or 2.

Actually I think I will add 2 to the cory school instead. I think they will be much happier that way.

So 8x Corydoras Aeneus, 10x Cherry Barbs, 3x Guppies, 1x DG. I decided against the pleco and the otos because I don't know if I would have a steady supply of algae and that really is the best thing for their diet. Could I add anything else?

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
I like rams a lot but because I am using such a light colored sand I don't think it would do their colors justice.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
You can get a dark background? That would help.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
You could still add more cherry barbs if you wanted. 12-15 would be fine since they're the only school.

And you can still add otos or a BN if you wanted. You should be feeding them veggies anyway, rather than making them rely on algae in your tank only. If you feed them veggies daily, you don't need algae in your tank.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
You can get a dark background? That would help.
I prefer no background because the color of my wall gives the tank a "frosted" look.

You could still add more cherry barbs if you wanted. 12-15 would be fine since they're the only school.

And you can still add otos or a BN if you wanted. You should be feeding them veggies anyway, rather than making them rely on algae in your tank only. If you feed them veggies daily, you don't need algae in your tank.
I'm happy with just a school of 10 barbs because I also want variety, I would feed them more than just algae but that should be their main source of food IMO and because I do not have a lot of it I would not feel comfortable housing these fish in my tank.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
You definitely don't have to keep them, but algae does not have to be the main source of their diet in order to have healthy and happy fish

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
If I got rid of the guppies could I add a school of green neon tetras? So: 1x DG, 7x Corydoras Aeneus, 10x Cherry Barbs, 8x Green Neon Tetra? Is that to many mid dweller schooling fish, or could I add something more?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
If I got rid of the guppies could I add a school of green neon tetras? So: 1x DG, 7x Corydoras Aeneus, 10x Cherry Barbs, 8x Green Neon Tetra? Is that to many mid dweller schooling fish, or could I add something more?
That is a fine list, but you could still add a bottom dweller centerpiece. Since you don't want a ram, how about a pair of peacock gudgeons?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Msjnkzd usually recommends trios of peacock gudgeons as the males can get mean with the females. Best to have more females than males to spread out aggression

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
They are a little pricey in my area, I don't want to spend so much on such a small fish.

Instead of 3 gudgeons could I have 3 guppies, 1mx2fm? I would give any fry to my friend to feed her Chinese water dragon and I would move them to a 10 gallon until then.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Green neons are pretty small, so I would add more of them. They also might not compete well for food with the DG and the cherry barbs, so make sure they get fed. I've also heard they're more sensitive to pH than most fish (they're less adaptable), so beware of that.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
I have the same pH as my LFS so it should be fine. What about the guppies?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
I mean they are sensitive to high pH. They do best in soft, acidic water.

I would worry about the guppies outcompeting them as well.

OP
C

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Ok should I just leave them out of the stocking plan?

Anders247, tyguy7760?

Here is a pic, I just added play sand last night and added a background. Current stock is 4 cories.
full?d=1489167071.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nikki2577
Replies
Views
schmalzy_x0
Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies